Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 28, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Insults or Lack of Support?

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Sorry to have disappeared last week. My mother passed away and I was away attending her memorial service. It was unexpected so I didn't have a planned backup.

I got into a conversation with some students the other day about various things I have encountered in my career in science. The consensus of the women I was talking with surprised me. They felt that the outright negative comments I heard would have deterred them more than long periods without a feeling of support, with no compliments on their work as a scientist or suggestions for future career moves.

I felt the opposite. It has been easier for me to deep freeze negative comments, to figure that person has a problem with women in science and I don't need to share his opinion. With a long term lack of support, I feel more like every day something bad could happen to me, to my research, to my teaching, and I wouldn't have someone to whom to turn. It's much more corrosive. That's why I feel more attention should be paid to erosion of women who have been tenured. This "chilly atmosphere," in the terms of older reports on women in science, saps the career prospects of a lot of women who have tried hard to persist in science. It's the reason I wrote a list of ways men can help women in science for The Scientist a few years ago. Warming up that chill is not just a detail. I think it's very important. But maybe you perceive it differently. Take our poll below and comment if you like.

cheers,

Laura

Comments
9  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

The long-term lack of support eats you. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks this is an issue, and also glad to see it is not just my problem. Sink or Swim is seen at some institutions to be the best way to weed out talent, but it does not develop talent.

Community

I've experienced both insults and the cold shoulder, and I find a negative atmosphere more tolerable (it's easier to ignore). I had a professor who refused to answer my questions, insisted I was an idiot, and repeatedly interrupted his lecture to demand that I drop the class. I found that if I had the man sitting next to me ask my question then I would get a satisfactory answer. I earned an A and had the last laugh.

While challenging and unpleasant, the disdain of others doesn't have to be a morale-breaker. Instead, it can be used as motivation to improve. That being said, I don't think any amount of negativity could drive me out of science. It's the only thing I have any interest in and the only thing I'm any good at.

Community

Hi Laura,
I was sorry to hear about your loss.

I resonate with what Susan expressed. When I was young (20yrs ago), the over comments bothered me, but as I've matured I've learned to handle the few that still come through. It is the lack of support that is draining. It's draining, emotionally and psychologically to the point where the science just isn't enough anymore. And given just how fun science used to be, that's saying a lot!

Community

Laura,

I'm sorry to hear of your mother. I have missed my mother almost every day for the last 30 years.

The negative things are killers, but we can leap over them. They stay with us and hurt, but we can count them as coming from clods, at best. I think the more difficult thing is the constant lack of support and respect. It is far harder to deal with. Over time, it wears us down, pushing us to give up, entirely.

Marian

Community

Laura, I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother. 
As a young faculty member, I would have said the negative comments were most demoralizing... I could ignore the rest, and if they would just leave me alone, I'd be fine!   BUt as an older, wiser woman, I think that the unsupportive environment is ultimately far more damaging. It's a steady drip, drip that undercuts without you even realizing it. You know where you are with someone who is direct about his disdain, especially if others are supportive. You can learn to ignore that. But tepid support that damns with faint praise can end up like sabotage. It embitters.  I also think you point out an important issue, the "erosion" of tenured women espeically from such environments. I know of far too many women who have left science despite the evident achievement of tenure and position, because they are simply too weary to keep struggling in a cold community.   THis is a huge loss of potential leadership in science generally, and it rarely gets noticed amidst the concern for the other end of the pipeline. But it is a contributor to loss at all stages: after all, what model does it give our younger scientists when their seniors are bone-weary and unhappy? Therefore I think retention as part of the chilly climate is an issue that the women-in-science activists would do well to examine.

Community

Well, ladies, I don't know. If someone said to me some of the negative things Laura talked about in her book, I think I would just quit right then and go be a sociologist or social worker. I've always been a little too ready to believe other people's assessment of me, though. I guess not everyone is like that.

Community

Hi Laura,
I went to a small school so I could avoid this lack of friendship with my colleagues. I hated that. It was one of the things I heard my female mentor complain about frequently in my postdoc.
Small Science Woman

Community

Hi Laura
I don't think you can choose between these in a vacuum. You have to live through them and then think about how they affected you. I suspect I'd have picked the insults as worse a priori, but now that I've experienced both, I'd pick the negative atmosphere as worse by far. It made me change jobs when it was very hard for my family, just so I wouldn't dread going to work every single day.
CRM

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback