« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: June 17, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

The Gender Chip Project

Aa Aa Aa

In 1998, film maker Helen de Michiel started following a diverse group of undergraduate women who meant to go into science and who were enrolled at Ohio State University .  She had been hired to make a film about women graduating in the first year of the new millenium, in 2001, who planned to go into the sciences (really all STEM fields). She stuck with these women as they declared majors, completed them, and were graduated, recording experiences and reflections from each one at many times during her college career.  This view, a longitudinal record of women entering science, is quite unusual. 

While science was burgeoning, deMichiel wondered if the fields each of her students wanted to pursue would welcome them, if they would have doubts, and how their pathway to eventually succeeding or dropping out would progress.  She found out they did have doubts and difficult times, but they tended to persist.  Her work is available now in the form of a film, Gender Chip,  available from the web site, along with some very useful materials such as a pdf of her Action Toolkit, suggesting how the film can be used to generate discussion of specific issues with young women considering science.

Does anyone have experience with outreach to young women and girls?  Do these types of materials work in such outreach?  Or do you think science activities of the kind provided by Sally Ride's group, hands-on science camps, etc,  seem to work similarly, or are the hands-on approaches better in your experience?

What works to get young women excited about science? Is a film about joys, doubts, and fears of women at Ohio State University from 1997-2001 a good type of tool to provide discussion, or will seeing the bias and barriers make them less enthusiastic?  What do you think?

a.  For me, the film would have been a good early warning of upcoming challenges

b. For me, the film would have made me think twice about science

c. For students I've interacted with, I think hands-on activities are more enticing

c. For students I've worked with, I think this film would be very useful to motivate them to make things better for students who come along later.

Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

kaufe einen deutschen Führerschein, kaufe einen deutschen Pass, kaufe 100% unentdeckte gefälschte $ €, £ und SSD Chemikalien, beantrage einen Führerschein, beantrage einen Waffenschein, wie bekomme ich einen neuen Pass, wo kann ich einen Pass kaufen, Wie kann ich einen britischen Pass kaufen, einen deutschen Pass beantragen, einen britischen Pass beantragen, einen deutschen Pass kaufen, 100% unentdeckte Klasse A $ Bill, €, £ und SSD kaufen, IELTS-Zertifikat ohne Prüfungen kaufen, Marihuana-Karte kaufen , Arbeitserlaubnis kaufen,
(Wir können uns von Angesicht zu Angesicht treffen, um über das Falschgeld zu sprechen)
 (jackhool111@yahoo.com)
WHATS-APP # +1 (9109863818)
(darkwebpro174@gmail.com)
http://cheapdocumentshome.blogspot.de

Community

BUY QUALITY REAL / FAKE PASS (Whatsapp + 447459247070)

(WhatsApp + 447459247070) to buy high

Quality, real passport, visa, driving license, identity cards, marriage certificates,
Diplome.We are a team of professionals with many years of experience in the manufacturing of real

and fake passports and other identity documents, the best producers of quality real and

fake documents. With more than millions of documents in the world.
We offer only original real-wrong passport, driver's license,
ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, fake diplomas International and other products for a

Number of countries such as USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland,

France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom.
This list is incomplete.
For more information and space on the right
Please contact us via email or whatsapp.

Contact. smithproductionltd@gmail.com

Whatsapp ....... + 44 745 924 7070

Please contact us via email or whatsapp at any time and at any discretion.
SUBJECTS:
Buy bad passports
Get Your US Passport (USA)
Buy your Australian Passports (Australia)
Get your Belgian passport (Belgium)
Get your passports from the UK (UK)
Buy your Russian passport (Russia)
Get your passport from Hungary (Hungary)
Get your passport from Australia (Australia)
Buy your Croatian passport (Croatia)
Get your passport from Denmark (Denmark)
Get your passport to Malta (Malta)
Get your Polish passport (Poland)
Buy your Swedish passport (Sweden)
Etc.
Buy your ID cards
Buy your ID US (United States)
Buy your ID from Australia (Australia)
Buy your badge of Belgium (Belgium)
Buy your ID from Brazil (Brazil)
Canadians Buy Fake Documents (Canada)
Buy your French ID (France)
Get your ID for German (Germany)
Buy your ID of Spanish (Spain)
Buy your ID (Mexico)
Buy your badges South Africa (South Africa)
Buy your ID Swiss (Switzerland)
Get your ID for German (Germany)
Buy your ID from China (China)
Buy your ID from Russia (Russia)
Buy your ID from Hungary (Hungary)
Buy your ID from Australia (Australia)
Buy your ID from Brazil (Brazil)
Buy your Italian ID (Italy)
Buy your ID Jamaica (Jamaica)
Buy your ID South Korea (South Korea)
Buy your Swedish ID (Sweden)
Etc.
Buy FAKE DRIVERS LICENSE
Buy a license in Australia (Australia)
Buy Canadian Driving License (Canada)
Buy your French driver's license (France)
Buy your Dutch license (Netherlands / Netherlands)
Buy your German driver's license (Germany)
Buy your license from the UK (UK)
Buy your driver's license in Switzerland (Switzerland)
Buy your Cambodia driver's license (Cambodia)
Buy a license from Australia (Australia)
Buy your license from Russia (Russia)
Buy Canadian Driving License (Canada)
Buy your International Driving License
Buy your US driver's license
Buy your Spanish driver's license (Spain)
Buy your driving license Portuguese (Portugal)
Buy your license Hungarian (Hungary)
Buy a driver's license
Buy your German driver's license (Germany)
Buy your license from the UK (UK)
Buy your license Norway (Norway)
Buy a license from Brazil (Brazil)
Buy your license Denmark (Denmark)

CONTACT US
Whatsapp ....... + 44 745 924 7070
E-mail contact: (smithproductionltd@gmail.com)

Community

Hi Laura,
I didn't answer your question as I was on holiday for a while. The Avatar mini-film focuses on the effects and creative vision for the film, so there's little real science, although they do discuss themes in the film like the concept of a planet wide neural net and biological computer that can download people. But I think it piques kids imagination as to what you can think about and create if you set your mind to it with a "little bit" of science knowledge. Much better is the movie James Cameron did on life at the deep sea vents as a model for NASA astrobiologists. What would like look like under the ice on Europa? It's a fun film that shows some female scientists as well as their male counterparts. And there is lots of action which is entertaining.

Community

Hi Small Science Woman,
I know what you mean. I think some of the outreach works with huge groups, though, like Sally Ride's science days. Maybe individual girls have someone looking especially after them, I'm not sure. I went to a science day at Marlborough School for girls, on the West side of LA a couple of years ago. It was huge, all speeches except for the lunch, but the girls were all quite into the ideas and participated in the discussion after each talk. Maybe it depends on what the audience is used to and expects.
cheers,
Laura

Community

What works is to look into their eyes as you're presenting things; if they are alert, all is good. If they look dazed, try something else. Of course, that's easy to say if you're a liberal arts college prof, hard if you teach big classes at a university. But for outreach, try to keep it small enough to be responsive to the kids. Some will probably love the film, others won't. Be ready with a brain dissection or kite design or whatever, just in case. SSW

Community

I bet they would like "making of Avatar." I'm curious, what kind of science is in that film? Or view of scientists?
cheers,
Laura

Community

I concur with teacher that with the high school students I've worked with watching a film about undergraduates just doesn't hook them. Watching films that illustrate scientific principles and how they are applied is much more interesting..docu feature on the "Making of Avatar" for example which details how they came up with the look and concepts for alien life. James Cameron's other science related film on life underwater as a surrogate for the search for life on other planets (like Europa) also worked really well for teens.
I would show the film to PIs to remind them of the naivete of the students they will be working with. That should have some impact.

Community

Great, I'm glad to hear it. I liked the film a lot, but was not sure how it would be received by today's young students. If they still like films, that's good. Even if they text while they watch (yuck, did he really say that 2 her??) cheers, Laura

Community

So sounds good to me too. Longitudinal views on career paths in science? It's like watching a friend go through it. Hate to sound like a cliche, but women relate more to personal stories than men, so I bet this is why they thought this format would be effective for young women (People magazine makes billions off of this idea). I teach upper level biology seminars, and would show it all my students in those, but would expect it to have more of an effect on the women.

Community

I think any film about real scientists has value. They are always getting distorted in movies and on the news networks. Women scientists are rarely featured. Seems like a good idea to show the film. Students like films!

Community

That's interesting, teacher, about what today's young students want (not talking heads). My college students today seem to enjoy labs a lot more than they used to. I haven't had any complain about extra work for the same credit in several years. Maybe hands-on is the best approach today, even though virtual is what they use themselves. Novelty?:
cheers,
Laura

Community

C would be my choice; I don't think talking heads work well for young students of today anyway, no matter how insightful they may be. It would help that they are students, but my students are enough younger that they'd see these women as adults, I think.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback