Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 30, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Congresswomen Ask, Why So Slow?

Aa Aa Aa
Hi friends of women in science,

I am just back from a two week trip doing research for my next book, and now I have something exciting to report. Some of you may remember my mild rants about why Title IX isn't being used re STEM as well as re athletics, as a tool to get major research universities to change their hiring policies re women in science. Sonia Pressman Fuentes just alerted me to a request for a federal study of gender bias in fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by Representatives Luoise Slaughter (D, NY), Eddie Bernice Johnson (D, TX), and Rosa DeLauro (D, CT). They have asked the Government accountability Office to investigate whether the federal government has made progress in removing gender bias in STEM fields. Representative Slaughter said, ""Women are just as qualified to hold these positions as men, and we need more professionals to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math, regardless of gender. We should not and cannot allow gender bias to handcuff this country's future." She has degrees in both microbiology and public health.
AAUW Executive Director and CEO, Linda Hallman, lauded the move, saying that action from the federal government is needed to re-start stalled progress in increasing gender diversity in these fields. She said, "To be globally competitive, the United States needs more people to go into STEM. Women need to be the focus of these efforts as they represent 50 percent of the overall workforce but less than 25 percent of the STEM workforce."
We discussed earlier a new study from Jo Handelsman and her colleagues at Yale showing that unconscious bias is still rampant among STEM faculty, both male and female. This study, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, was a major factor in the request from the congressional women, since it showed professors do not consider women as qualified as men for employment in STEM fields.
What do you think, how can a study by GAO help us get out of the stall in making progress?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
9  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

I agree with Erin that you have to remind people that it IS still a problem. Otherwise you don't have a chance to effect any changes. It won't solve everything, but it will highlight the issue again. And I think that is important.

As for the funding issue, I have observed it from the lens of industry with my peers who stayed in academia and the students who participate in undergraduate research and graduate internships, so dispassionate is perhaps the best descriptor of my viewpoint.

Although it is frustrating for many and sad that not everyone can pursue the career they thought was possible, I will say that has always been the case, at least since I started graduate school in the 90s. There has been a glut of graduate students and postdocs for too long in biology in particular.

And unless academia can figure out a way to correct the 50% or more of irreproducible results out there in the literature (which has been highlighted and documented by numerous recent reports), I don't see how the system can justify asking for more money. If the system can clean house and eliminate the individuals who don't perform rigorous science, perhaps there would be enough funding for those who do!

Community

Hi Susan,

That's discouraging. Now that I'm in phased retirement, I worry less about grants and so I'd missed this terrible effect of the sequester. Everything is cut to the bone, huh? I know that will indeed shake out some of the best possible future scientists into business, econ, anything that seems to have a future. We should do what we can to get Congress to restore the funds.

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Erin,
Nice details, thanks so much for fleshing out what has happened and can happen again. It sounds like this is definitely a good move.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Ken and Brenda, Well, you're on opposite sides of this one, but I can feel the basis of each of your thoughts in my own experiences. I think Erin's comments are helpful in pushing this one to the optimistic side, though.
cheers,
Laura

Community

We know there are significant conflicts in the current academic structure between family lives and the tenure clock. We know that there is substantial unacknowledged bias where women are viewed as less qualified. We know that academic science rewards aggressive, loud, typically male behavior (ca 1960s) that is uncomfortable to many women.

And, we know that in the current funding crisis, women, and men, are fleeing academic STEM fields because they see no future in it (on top of all of the above). And they are right. If we don't solve the funding problem, soon, everything else is moot.

Community

Hi Laura,

The Association for Women in Science (AWIS), along with several other women in STEM groups, has been working with Rep. Slaughter's staff on this report request, so I'd like to explain a bit of the rationale in light of the various reports that have been done before.

We feel the GAO report is important because the last one examining the implementation of Title IX, done in 2004, actually did have positive outcomes. Schools were supposed to be performing their own evaluations of compliance but didn't even realize that was part of their responsibility. While there aren't enough resources at the federal level to check that each school is being compliant, reminding them of that is a step in the right direction. Some of the schools only recently appointed Title IX coordinators because it was pointed out that they didn't have one; if it had not been brought to their attention, that change probably wouldn't have happened.

There is also the old adage that what matters gets measured, and much of what is being asked of in this request is data that isn't currently being measured and which most groups don't have the time or resources to do on their own in a comprehensive fashion. Will it fix everything? No. Does the investment being made and the return on it matter to Congress? Perhaps. Should schools care about the financial threat for a failure to comply with the law, particularly in light of the recent violations regarding the handling of sexual assault on campuses? Yes. Is the alternative of doing nothing and still expecting change reasonable? Probably not.

Thanks for bringing attention to the request and stimulating discussion, as always, amongst your readers!

Erin

Community

Hi Laura--
I guess I can feel the disappointment behind Ken's comments, when so much attention and effort have been expended on the issue of women in STEM. But yet, I still remain hopeful that some kind of legislation or enforcement strategy could actually break the logjam of old, male, misogynists protecting their own turf. It has happened in other fields, why not STEM? Academia creaks and groans but it DOES change, finally, with enough force behind the demands (financial force, I mean).

BKR

Community

Laura-

I can't believe you think one more government study will help. How many reports have there been showing this problem? At least 20. And you and I have been at, and even talked at, some of the meetings on which the reports were based. And what happened? Only in a few cases where a faculty woman caught the attention of a top administration (such as MIT) have made some progress, and even they slowed and stalled when administrative turnover removed the driving force.

Ken

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback