« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 14, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Women's Management Style

Aa Aa Aa

I've heard people refer to a msnagement style characteristic of women.  When I was Academic VP at Pomona College I really tried to learn more about this, but like a will-o-the-wisp it kept disappearing the more I investigated it. The best summary I could give would include two items.  First, women are more coolaborative and horizontal in management structure while men are more hierarchical, supposedly.  Second, women are more cheerleaders and less taskmasters for their teams.  At times I saw myself in both of these ideas, but not always.  I had to do many things that would be called more masculine.  And sometimes I forgot to do things that would cheer on my team.  I recall once when a female associate dean told me, "I wanted to work with a female boos so I could get a pat on the back once in a while."  In fact, this woman had just done a great job on something and I had taken it for granted.  I worked on recognizing her (and others') contributions with more supportive messages.  But I wouldn't say it came naturally.

My daughter just started her MBA at Drucker School of Management at Claremont Graduate University.  It emphasizes values I think fit with my two generalizations.  I was interested that both men and women are taking these classes, to become what my informants would have considered more like women in management style.

So, I wonder, what do you think?

A.  Yes women do have specific management styles that differ from those of men

B. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  

C. No, I don't think I can make any generalizations about male/female management style

Comments
8  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi FBP,
The student who told our dept assistant that I was 'strict but fair" meant it as a criticism, but I've always felt OK about it. Treat everyone the same, no favored buddies, and make it clear what the rules are so there should be no surprises. The latter was not typical of men in charge of the labs where I worked. I had to guess the rules, and there were high stakes and bad consequences if you guessed wrong.
cheers,
Laura

Community

A is what I've seen. Especially younger women tend to organize things with no hierarchy, and it works sometimes but not always. I agree with HMCBRIDE that if anyone complains about my being too bitchy/crabby/tough it is women who work in my lab. Sigh. I just think I"m fair, and I do give pats on the back, but if you mess up, you can bet I'll be in your face.
FBP

Community

What I find amusing is that I only get that comment from women:) Men don't even notice and often will state how I'm just like "one of the boys". I guess its a sad commentary that I trust the male evaluation of my behavior more than that of my female peers. Or perhaps its just laziness....:)

Community

Hi Helen,
Interesting! I would call that "too abrasive" comment pressure to be someone else's idea of how a woman boos should act. I'm glad you've stayed the way you are!
cheers,
Laura

Community

C. Too variable. Individual personalities over-ride gender tendencies. You see tough, no-nonsense women and nurturing men on the same team. Some male bosses are great advocates, and some women too. I can't count how many times I've been told I'm a "little abrasive". Perhaps some of that is the expectation for how a woman "should" act, but I judge people as individuals to decide if I want to work with them. Gender doesn't really play a role for me in the workplace.

Community

I agree that younger women are often more collaborative and more supportive of other women. Maybe the older generation thought only a few women could make it so they got defensive thinking if someone new joined the club, they'd be kicked out. Might especially feel that way if beauty was once the secret of their success but in their 40's it's waning...just a thought.

Community

Interesting "Not sure". I think it would make sense for the younger generation of women bosses to be more able to express their natural inclinations but I haven't really noticed that trend myself.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
B for me, I don't think it's consistent. Maybe the younger women are more like your 2 generalizations but the older ones are more hierarchical.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback