Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 18, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Research at Community Colleges

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

I was interested in a recent article on the Science Careers site (see it here) about Researchers at Community Colleges, partly because two of the three such researchers they featured were women. Niccole Cerveny teaches geology in Arizona, focusing in a research course funded by an NSF grant on ways of predicting erosion rates of rocks on which Hopi rock art has been drawn, at Mesa Community College. Thomas Higgins is a biochemsitry professor at Harold Washington College, which is in Chicago. He collaborates with others in his vicinity who help undergraduates engage in research, and that supports an active and effective STEM community called STEM-Engines Undergraduate Research Collaborative. Jacqueline Crisman is at Jamestown Community College in Olean, NY doing biochemistry and engaging her students with her to answer the questions it raises.

Most people think of community colleges as purely teaching institutions, but these professors and others have brought research there for a variety of reasons. The first is that it motivates the students to carry on beyond their AA certificates, transfer to a four year college and complete their BA or BS degrees. Higgins has used this to the advantage of many community colleges in his neighborhood, as undergraduate research in biochemistry is now available in many of the campuses due to his efforts.

As a former president of Council on Undergraduate Research, I am confident that owning a research project is one of the most attractive ways to bring young students into realization that they can become scientists. That is particularly true of first generation college students, such as Niccole Cerveny was herself. But Cerveny's science also has a public service aspect: her students found out how to stop flooding of the campus after rains and advised the park service at Petrified Forest National Park about routes for hikes that would cause the least damage to petroglyphs. Research suggests that such public service aspects are particuarly attractive to female sudents.

But those are not the only reasons these three scientists, none of whom had planned to teach in such a setting, have ended up there. Another reason is proximity to other family members. Crisman left a position at Pennsyvania State Unviersity for Jamestown Community College largely for that reason, because her parents were in poor health and needed her help. In order to plan out the other aspects of one's life, such a move can happen. Losing research on effects of chemokines on cancer and cell death didn't sound good to her, though, so she found a way to build it in where she went. She was quoted, "I'm having so much fun I can hardly believe it." All three of these faculty members have research funding from outside their institution and have increased the enthusiasm for student research at their (and other) institutions.

I love this story because it shows how the kinds of women's concerns that we often discuss can both transform institutions and enable people to make up their own best careers, combining the elements that work for them.But I'm concerned about its persistence and spreading in these days of budget constraits.

What do you think about research at Community Colleges?

cheers,
Laura

Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Dear Amanda, Serge, Marian, and Helen,
I'm glad all of you think this is a good idea and support it. No one has posted anything about this, but several people have talked with me and said they feel our country cannot afford to "waste money" for research in community colleges. I feel it's growing the seed corn for the next generation of scientists, as is funding strong research at liberal arts colleges.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I'm delighted by this trend, and I commend NSF for being involved with it. When I was part of a Committee of Visitors in the late '90's, we reviewed one of the divisions of NSF BIO. One committee member made a strong plea for funding research at community colleges. The Program Director was very receptive to our suggestions, and I admire her for taking our comments so seriously.

Community

I think that programs like this are great! Many community college students are late bloomers, and research projects are the best way to interest students in science. Furthermore, I agree with Laura that the real-world problems that they are addressing are more likely to attract women.

I'd like to see this type of project in high schools as well! There, many science classes are too focused on passing standardized tests and seem to ignore research. I've often wondered if the rise in the number of students taking AP science tests correlates with the drop in those studying science in college. What do you think?

Community

We have such dedicated teachers who spend time and expertise fore allowing students to initiate projects that can bring bright ideas and enthusiasm to the next generation. I had the privilege to meet such teachers.
I am also concern for the dearth of funding but our western countries are in the middle of chaos and it seems that defense ministers and health ministers deserve all the attention.
Fair distribution of resources are responsibility of great leader. We have some very good but they are not helped by their supporters.
The Hawks prevail.....

Community

I really support this because all science students in college deserve the chance of the best, most motivating introduction to science. Getting to do research is that opportunity all students in science need, both for a realistic knowledge of what science is, and to motivate them to pursue the field themselves. Let's don't let financial concerns stop us from offering effective science education to all students. ALP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback