« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 10, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Gendered brain again

Aa Aa Aa

In an earlier posting, I asked for suggestions for what to read on the subject of brain differences by gender.  Several of you suggested useful resources.  Now that I've drafted the article I had agreed to write on this subject, I'd like to return to that topic.  I found the new book Brainstorm  by Rebecca Jordan-Young (2010) to be very careful in its evaluation of a large swath of experiments in this field.  Cordelia Fine's new book(2010 also) was highly amusing and caustic about some of the frequent over-statements of the meaning of findings in this field, but she was less interested in evaluating every facet of the evidence.  Earlier books by Pinker and by Eliot were useful but not as complete as Jordan-Young's.  So, if you're a scientist who wants to read a substantial overview of experiments on this subject, I recommend this new book, Brainstorm by Jordan-Young.  

I'd still like to hear what you've been reading and hearing about brain differences.   I'm also curious what you think about this field.

A.  Who cares about sizes of male and female brain regions?  It's not really important in how we act and think anyway.  And if there are differences, men will use them against women in some way.

B. I am interested in this area and feel that whether or not there are real differences, it's a useful area of research.

C. I am passionate about this area; men and women are different in their thinking so solving how their brains work differently has a high priority with me. 

Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi friends,
I got a nice note from Sonia Fuentes with some comments on the book by Fine. I will post about it next week. If you like "the emperor has no clothes" kind of exposes of what was done and what was said about it, Fine does it in style and British wit. Look for it!
cheers,
Laura

Community

I think women should be clear that such research has a downside for them. Almost any difference that is discovered, even if no one can repeat the findings, will help some sexist man feel comfortable putting down women.

Community

I’m watching on the computer--

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/154
—a series Charlie Rose had on the Brain that my friend Ellen recommended. Think I’ve seen parts 1 and maybe 2 so far and there are 12.

It includes a discussion on autism, which I haven’t yet heard, and a brief discussion on women in science, which I have heard.

Best,
Sonia

From:  Sonia Pressman Fuentes via Laura Hoopes |  September 19, 2010
Community

B. I feel like the people in the field need the right to study what interests them. If that is used against women, then let's fight those using it against us!

Community

C Neurobiology should have a clear signal from women that we have nothing to fear in their investigations. I don't think they should hold back at all from looking for the basis and effects of sex differences.

Community

Hi FBP,
I've heard a lot of strong feminists take that position, that this is in effect dangerous knowledge because it might be used against women. I really dislike thinking certain knowledge areas are taboo myself, and would much rather fight against those who want to over-interpret the findings. But I realize nipping it in the bud is tempting.
Cheers,
Laura

Community

A. I'm convinced that men are lying in wait to hear how men's and women's brains are different...sound paranoid? I sort of mean it. This stuff has been used against us every time. I say forget it. FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback