Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: October 4, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

AWIS Spotlights Susan Forsburg

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,
The last issue of AWIS Magazine, which I wish were indexed on ISI and more available nationally to readers, highlighted Susan Forsburg, one of those elected to Fellowship in AWIS in 2007.
She had received the PhD at MIT and did postdoctoral research with Paul Nurse, a Nobel laureate who did breakthrough experiments on cell division control in fission yeast, Schizoschharomyces pombe. One of Susan's ongoing activities is to make fission yeast work more accessible to new scientists by continually updating PombeNet, a web site with technical tips and advice about fission yeast. Susan Forsburg began her academic career at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, later moving to become full professor at University of Southern California in Los Angeles in the Molecular and Computational Biology Program. Her work focuses on DNA replication, cell division regulation, and chromosome dynamics. In 2006, she was named one of Pink Magazine's top nine American women in cancer research. In 2011, she won the Alice Evans Award through the American Society of Microbiology for inclusion, development, and advancement of women in microbiology.
In 1997, way before she had a secure academic position, Susan Forsburg began one of her most visible projects, the Women in Biology internet launch pages, found at http://www.womenbio.net. It collects information about the history of women in biology, current events affecting women in biology, and resources for women in biology. AWIS asked Forsburg when she decided she wanted to be involved in promoting the interests of women in biology. She answered that at first, like many women, she thought the problems were all in the past. But she found, "the further up the ladder I went, the fewer women there were." She founded her internet launch site for women as a postdoc, and as she rose through the faculty ranks, she noticed the small slights that pile up on women. She credits Virginia Valian as having awakened her interest in these events. Forsburg said, "...I became aware that I just wasn't heard or noticed the way the men were, even when my accomplishments exceeded theirs."
In answer to additional questions, Forsburg highlighted her concept that women cannot do everything they wish to do at once, but it can all fit into their lives. She recommends that women "Seek balance and find joy." Having family can be very important for a woman's well-being.
best,
Laura
Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Laura, thanks for mentioning the AWIS Magazine! Membership in AWIS is open to everyone and our award-winning magazine is one of the many exclusive benefits of membership. Information may be found at www.awis.org - our next issue will come out in November and will be available online to all AWIS members.

Community

Thanks, Laura. These periodic features on women of note are among my favorite items on your site. I don't comment much, but I read and treasure these.
SR

Community

Hi Susan,
Apologies for the wrong rank at the critical time, but I notice that you were not yet safely tenured when you went out on this limb with us all. I appreciate your courage then and now.
best,
Laura

Community

Thanks for the call-out, Laura!

Although one correction, in 1997,when I started my website (currently being re-designed) I was already a 4th year assistant professor, not a postdoc. :^)

Community

I'm glad you do these features on women in science, especially those who try to make it easier for those of us following in their footsteps. Maybe next time you do the "can you name 5 women scientists" Susan Forsburg will be on my list.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback