« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 26, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Welcome! Tell us your favorite web sites for women in science

Aa Aa Aa

Welcome to the kickoff of Nature Education's new forum for women in science with an education flavor.  I'm excited to extend my work with Scitable beyond the Gene Expression and Regulation Topic Room, and I care a lot about the success of women in science.  I would like this forum to be responsive to the interests of visitors, and I also have a collection of issues I plan to spotlight.  The next one, after we collect interesting web sites, will be about family/career balance for women in science.  But feel free in the comments to say what kinds of web sites you WISH there were, and to suggest future forum topics.  I'm hoping we can get some good conversation going on this important issue.

Here are my favorite WIS web sites; check them out and suggest more!

1. Women in Science covers major awards to women and others happenings of interest to women in science

2. FemaleScienceProfessor contains musings of a physical science professor at a large research university.  She thinks about academia's strange customs and how poorly they often fit the female professor.  FSP is the author of the book Academeology, a collection pulled from her blog postings, available through Lulu (on Amazon.com). 

3. The Happy Scientist covers thoughts of an earth/life scientist and mother.

4. A Lady Scientist discusses experiences and reflections of a woman biochemist who has experienced the "two body problem," AKA finding jobs for a couple of academics at once, ideally in the same location.

5.  The Culture of Chemistry is written by a liberal arts college chemist, Michelle Francl at Bryn Mawr college.  She discusses a lot of interesting and amusing chemistry-related materials including the Draw a Scientist Test.

6.  Scientiae contains stories of and from women in science, engineering, technology, and mathematics.  Runs monthly festivals of posting around a theme, with guest bloggers-of-the-month.

7. Women in Biology Internet Launch page contains Susan Forsburg's collection of great resources for and about women in biology.

8. Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute has developed, and makes available through their website, great resources for improving departmental climate, for hiring with the least bias possible, and other issues of interest.  Also has lists of important papers with data on discrimination against women in science and related fields.

9. Women in Planetary Science posts resources and commentary of interest to women in general as well as women in planetary geology and astronomy.  As they say, "Half the Bodies in the Solar System are women." Offers advice on topics such as how to get the most out of a scientific meeting, plus discussion of mentoring, the hiring gap, and handling family/career balance.

10. Young Female Scientist posts musings about being a women with a science PhD who struggles to keep her career going.  Will she pursue a career in writing instead of science?  

Again, thanks for visiting.  Please comment with your reactions, with more great websites you'd recommend, and also tell me what topics you would like to see discussed on this blog. 

Cheers,
Laura  

Comments
9  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

BUY 100% UNDETECTABLE COUNTERFEIT MONEY at ((whatsApp...+32467716776 )) Euro, Dollars, Pounds, etc...Contact us below.

Contact us below:
Whatsapp... +32467716776
E-mail...counterfiettrade@gmail.com
Skype...ultraviolet1

We produce our notes with the following security features that make it to be genuine, and we have the best grade COUNTERFEIT NOTES in the world for both Euro, Dollar, and pound or any bills of your choice. We use quality foil paper elements, 20% of cellulose and 80% of cotton paper. Our bills have the Infrared Detection which makes our bills to bypass the UV machines, Pen test and even eye detection by counterfeit experts. Our notes are 100% grade “A” with the following quality security features below:

Intaglio printing
Watermarks
Security thread
See-through register
Special foil/special foil elements
Iridescent stripe / shifting colors.
Different serial numbers

EUR – Euro
USD – US Dollar
DNR – DINAR
GBP – British Pound
INR – Indian Rupee
AUD – Australian Dollar
CAD – Canadian Dollar
AED – Emirati Dirham
ZAR – Rand
CHF – Swiss Franc
CNY – Chinese Yuan Renminbi
MYR – Malaysian Ringgit
THB – Thai Bah
NZD – New Zealand Dollar
SAR – Saudi Arabian Riyal
QAR – Qatari Riyal

We offer free shipping as from minimum order and above.
Delivery takes 48hrs maximum, packaging and shipment method is discreet.

Contact us below:
Whatsapp... +32467716776
E-mail...counterfiettrade@gmail.com
Skype...ultraviolet1

Community

Here is another one I ran into recently:

Stemming at http://stemming.org
For women and girls in science, technology, engineering, and math.
Check out the article about 4 women in space right now, the most ever, and if you have a daughter, check out 10 ways to have an intellectual conversation in high school.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I love FSP and have given her book, Academeology (available through Lulu online) to all the junior women in science I know!

From:  Hooray for Female Science Professor |  April 19, 2010
Community

FSP is my personal favorite!

Community

thanks laura, this is really excellent. glad we got the planetary science folks represented too!

Community

This is really neat. It's going to take me the whole weekend to really check out all those sites but I'm looking forward to it. They all seem really cool!

Community

Jennifer, you wrote
What about also collecting noteworthy articles on various topics relating to Women in Science that have appeared over the years?

That is the function of my website, which Laura kindly highlighted.

Community

Great ideas, Jennifer. Thanks so much! And as she noticed and others may have too, this Forum is not yet connected to the main Scitable site. That connection is under construction at present.
cheers,
Laura

Community

This is wonderful Laura, thank you so much. I have never heard of most of those websites--I have so much surfing to do. What about also collecting noteworthy articles on various topics relating to Women in Science that have appeared over the years? I can think of a recent one on discrimination in science, and there was a great collection in Chronicles that appeared a year or so ago.

I'm looking forward to the work/family balance discussion. As another topic possibility, what about the respect/perception problem? (my high little Minnie Mouse voice is not doing me any favors).
Jennifer Armstrong

Previous Topic  |  Next Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback