Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 1, 2014
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Is Leaning In Too Much To Ask?

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

Susan Forsburg recently alerted me to a critique of Sandberg's Leaning In, which we've discussed on the forum several times. In Cap Times online, Rosa Brooks, a professor at Georgetown University, details all the activities that she had demanded of herself in the name of Leaning In. It's a formidable list. This short quotation will give you some idea of the satirical tone of the piece: "Long ago, before Sandberg's book "Lean In" convinced me to change my ways, I had a life. I had friends, family, children. I had hobbies. I had a job, too, of course, but I also took occasional vacations, knocked off work at a sensible hour and got eight hours of sleep each night. Then I read "Lean In" and realized that I was self-sabotaging slacker."

Now, she says, she upped for two demanding jobs at once regularly, accepted invitations to inconvenient conference speaking engagements, became room-parent for her daughter's class, said yes when older colleagues saw her as an up-and-comer and offered still more plum assignments, did radio interviews over Skype while monitoring math homework of her daugher, etc. etc. Brooks had an epiphany of hating Sandberg, then realized that ubiquity won't work for her or most women because of two jobs: work and homework (housework, parenting).

We've talked in this forum before about "more is better" and how insidious it can be as a concept at work, where if women can't do more at night, men can and get the promotions, but then they are drawn out of family life. Brooks is arguing for a less is more approach. She'd like to see quality over quantity of involvement of women at work and at home. She can't live any longer with accepting all opportunities.

I'm pretty sure some women can, and maybe those are the ones destined for the top. I have to agree with Rosa Brooks that reflection time and family time, and just quality time with job one at work, need to be respected and valued. We need to build those in first and then see what time is left for leaning in.

cheers,

Laura

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Laura--Thanks for sharing this. I talk about these kind of issues with my mentees and junior women in my workplace often. I recently started a coffee club for women at my level just so we could discuss the commitments required to move up to the next level at our company. And not surprisingly, there was a split. Some women were already leaning in and wanted to do whatever it took. Others felt like they were maxed out and couldn't do more if they tried. And those women were very clear--they didn't want to "lean-in" but were being forced to externally by their managers. (Our company operates on an up or out mentality.)

To me the big question is what does success look like for you? And what do you need to do to make that happen? Because that defines in large part how much you really need to do. And there should be respect for the majority who don't want leadership roles for various reasons. But for those of us who do want the C suite--we do what it takes to get there. And its for those women that the Lean In book resonates.

Cheers,
Helen

Community

Laura--

I am feeling overwhelmed right now so this struck a chord with me. We need to set boundaries. I don't demand the right to veg, but I do need family time. I suppose Sandberg can afford constant caregivers, but for those of us who cook and clean and love our kids, we need more room and less demands. Or 5 hour energy. Or something. I don't hate Sheryl Sandberg, but I do see where Brooks is coming from.
Livi

Community

Hi Laura,
This article reminds me of when I was a junior faculty member and thought I couldn't say no to anything. I think even in Leaning In, there IS a happy medium to be achieved. You can even become nationally visible without losing touch with your family and yourself, if you select carefully what you jump into and hold back from. So it seems to me!

SSW

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback