Women in Science
Other Topics
« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: August 9, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Sisterhood of Science: Kate Sleeth's Guest Posts, cont.

Aa Aa Aa

Kate Sleeth, Southern California Postdoctoral Fellow, on Mentoring

This is Kate's second Forum posting on this topic. Look for the first one here.

I worked for three male mentors before I was fortunate enough to have a wonderful female mentor. My male mentors were excellent; however the wonderful female mentor was exceptional. She taught me a lot about who I want to be and how I want to act and be known. She was encouraging, gave networking opportunities, career advice and, generally, was inspirational. I am incredibly proud of the work I performed in her laboratory and learnt a lot from her. When I met her for the first time I was struck by her femininity; she was always immaculately dressed, had great hair and makeup and was softly spoken, kind and generous. She is a skilled leader, able to influence decisions and motivate workers while maintaining an unthreatening femininity. She has managed to have great success as a scientist and medical doctor without losing who she is. She does have a child and validates that female scientists can have it all; a successful career and a family. A few years ago, I am sure she was “the odd one out” but as more successful females who have a good work-life balance become prominent she will hopefully become “the norm”.

There is a new generation of female scientists who want it all. It is examples like my mentor who show those less advanced on the journey that it is possible. This will hopefully have the benefit that more females remain in science, at all levels. It is a sad fact that although more women are taking scientific undergraduate and postgraduate studies we still lose them over the course of their careers, to a greater extent than males. There is much discussion and controversy over why this is.

I believe that if the sisterhood of scientists supports each other, more females may remain in the scientific pipeline. Those further along in their career path should gladly mentor their junior fellows, imparting the knowledge learnt through trials to ensure a smoother journey for the follower. Nowadays it is more normal to fly the Atlantic in an airplane than traverse it in a ship as Christopher Columbus did; likewise as time and trends change, the advice given will also change. There are national groups and associations which are dedicated to assisting females, the most prominent being the Association for Women in Science. There are chapters all over the United States and I would encourage everyone to join and participate. The contacts and information you receive will no doubt be invaluable throughout your career. It will give different opportunities throughout your career; wonderful networking events for junior scientists to get advice and job opportunities; a fulfilling chance to impart hard won wisdom and find new collaborators for more senior scientists.

There has been much advancement for Women in Science however improvement is always possible. I believe that the “sisterhood in science” could be beneficial in keeping female talent in the research realm before it leaks out to other avenues. I encourage all females to look for opportunities to help others, or ask those more experienced for advice. Only when we work together will we see the benefits.

The views expressed in this column are those of the author and do not reflect the views or policies of the Institution she works for.

Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Kate,

In my family we call it "The All Girls Club". My daughter works in the international relations/public policy world and got in the door thanks to women who were in a position to help out. I too have had women in clerical roles step in to make a difference for me. Women in science should do more for other women!

Whatever our positions, be we on an administrative committee, working in recruiting, or a woman who actually has the power to empower and mentor other women, I think we should step up to the plate and enable women to move forward. It's not going to happen without our help. I like Sarah's comment "swamp them with women of good will".

Let's all work to help other women -- heaven knows that many of us could use a break!

Marian

Community

I think it can be done in a positive way. If there is an "Old Boys Club" why can't there be an "Old Gals Club"?

I agree with Laura that it should be inclusive. My most powerful mentors have been men, and I wouldn't want to lose that. Rather I'd like to gain some other perspectives.

As for mentoring, I would strongly encourage those women at an advanced stage of their careers (after postdoc) to consider mentoring through Mentornet and other venues as well as through their own institutions. eMentoring is a wonderful way to impact women in science with very little time and effort. It is flexible, focused and produces real gains during a short time period (8 months). And it is VERY hard to find mentors for all the women waiting for them.

So I say, please do your part to help those waiting women out and start a mentoring relationship today!

Community

I like your attitude, Sarah, and hope that will work. I think women's organizations can help, as long as women trust that they can belong without being ostracized by their male colleagues. That's why I like the 'friends of women in science' approach more than just women in science per se. Men can be great supporters and step up for us when we really need credibility, at times.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Well, Postdoc Girl, we could actually swamp them out with women of good will! That would be my choice, I can tell you. I hate this frat hazing approach to greeting new women in science. We should phase it out asap.

Community

I think this sounds good, but I am not sure it can be done. If women have a bad attitude towards other women, saying it would help to recruit more women to science is unlikely to move them to be nicer. I think we have to wait for them to retire.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback