Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 21, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Inappropriate Comments

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Thanks to several of you who told me of Emily Graslie's reaction to her "fan" mail. Robert Krulwich covered her story on November 30, 2013. Emily Graslie is one of the few women video blogging on science per se. She works at the Field Museum in Chicago and her blog, "Brain Scoop," is often about the latest findings in neuroscience.
What Krulwich discussed was a blog she wrote about her mail. As he put it, "Many of the folks who write her, write not about the science, but about her body, her looks, her clothes, and do so without any apparent embaarrassment." He points out that her real subject, the science, takes second place.
In the video, Graslie explained that the overwhelming majority of comments are supportive. But those who were not, said things like 'How can a woman be hotter than Emily?" Obviously, she's not doing this video blog to show off her physical assets, but that's what some people focus on exclusively. I'm reminded of Watson,s famous comments in The Double Helix about Rosalind Franklin and how she could look attractive if she'd dress better. In fact, she quotes one person to say she just needs sexier glasses, and another who suggested, "Perhaps you should consider some sexier clothing."
Her reaction is that these people are engaging in internet bullying. They are applying unnecessary pressure and negativity. I'm sure that even though these comments are a minority, she's always braced for such things when she opens the comment file. She relates this experience with why some women can't stand to stay in science. I think she's right on target. I can recall lots of such incidents from my youth. For example, I didn't want a professor to say I was cute when I was trying to discuss serious issues in cell patterning with him. I did hope things were better on that front, but apparently not.
Anybody out there have ideas about how to deal with this?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi Dolores, Livi, and Sarah Jane,

I think I like Sarah Jane's ideas about how to act above it, don't let it get to us, but fight against it every chance we get. Delores, YES it still exists. Livi, it's a put down but I'm not totally sure it's a hate crime. I know how you feel, though. If this video blog was mine, I WOULD get someone to prescreen the comments, because I would want to avoid letting all that negative noise into my head. I wouldn't be so bad for the screener because it wouldn't be about them…and maybe it would be a guy!
cheers,
Laura

Community

I don't mean to be cynical, but I don't think these types of comments can be stopped. Just like sexist comments to non-scientists, racist comments, ignorant comments... They are all part of our world dialogue and will continue to be (at least in countries that value free speech). But I do think that we, as a society, can reduce all of these comments through our response (or lack of response) to them. We can make it very clear that such comments are not funny or appreciated and just make the commenter sound like a fool. We can correct inaccuracies. We can promote the visibility of women in STEM fields and other traditionally male-dominated fields. We can make our own comments that are based on the content that is being presented and we can make positive comments that are supportive of one another as professionals. And for those of us that are at the receiving end of stupid comments, we can try to not take it so personally - After all, these comments are a reflection of the social (and often intellectual) ineptitude of the commenter, not of the person on the receiving end of the comment.

Community

Hi Laura--

I think this sort of thing should be considered as an illegal act of intimidation, sort of a hate crime, and the perpetrators should be traced and captured by the FBI since it involves national media. Hah! In my dreams, I know. Not going to happen in today's real world. But I continue to view these men, well meaning or not, as people who want to circumscribe women and prevent their comfort and success.

Livi M

Community

Oh, yes, this still happens in person and online. Men think they are doing what we'd like, even. They don't realize at all that we just want to be respected as thinkers and scientists. We are in another category (PREY?) to a lot of them. Hate to be cynical, but that's what I see.

DNP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback