Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 20, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Girls Ace Science Fairs

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Evidence of girl power in science is coming from several science fairs this summer. Google just ran its first science fair, mostly online submissions with 80% from the US and with roughly similar numbers male and female students submitting. In all three age categories, the winners were girls. You can view their projects and speeches on the Google site for the Science Fair here (and sign up to receive info about the next fair in case you want to encourage people to enter it). The New York Times covered it in Tuesday's science section, and you can view that article here. The winner in the highest age category, Shree Bose, hopes to become an MD/PhD researcher in the future. Her project involved analysis of expression of the AMPK gene that may regulate how cancer cells can resist chemotherapy agents. She says she got her start at a science interest by a project in elementary school trying to turn spinach blue to make it more palatable to kids. The Google spokesperson said there were 9 male entrants among the 15 finalists, and gender was not a factor in the selection of the winners. All three girls did outstanding projects and had a long-standing interest in science.

In the July issue of Spirit Magazine, Amy Chyao was featured as the "Science Fair Hero." She had won international science fairs sponsored by Siemens and Intel where not only do the students have to submit their work, but they must survive intensive questioning about their understanding of it and the way they participated in the research. Chyao had no problem with the inquisition. She has been working on applying nanotechnology to cancer phototherapy with Dr. Kenneth Balkus at University of Texas, Dallas, and her project grew out of this work. The article quoted Dr. Balkus to the effect that Chyao talked with him exactly like one of his graduate students would; she had read the relevant papers in the Journal of the American Chemical Society and was as knowledgeable as his graduate students while still in high school.

She was the grand prize winner at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in 2010, triumphing over 1610 other students, an award that came with a $75,000 check. Her project resulted in a publication in JACS, the journal she reads regularly.

The article highlighted the fact that she had been reading Obsessive Genius: The Inner World of Marie Curie, a recent biography of the only woman to win two Nobel prizes in science.

Women in science have a lot to be proud of in the upcoming generation of women scientists, and I hope we are ready to make sure, to the limit of our ability, that they get a fair shake as they pursue their science careers.

Cheers,
Laura

Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

I find it interesting that people don't connect a high school or college interest in science to what occurs in the elementary school. If you just listen to what people say, so often a scientist will say their interest was first triggered as an elementary school student. Just look at what the winner said -- "she got her start at a science interest by a project in elementary school." That's where a focus is needed. Penni Rubin has quite a theory on this,

Community

Dear Abhilash,
Yes, you are so right. I like the international science fairs, but we all need to be aware that many girls in other countries have no encouragement in science, no science classes, and no way to participate in a science fair project. I am pleased that the UN has an effort underway to open science careers to women world-wide, but I know very well that progress is slow and not happening in every country, only in some.
cheers,
Laura

Community

hai Laura
It is a happy news that more and more women enter into the research field and contribute to enrich science.They should get enough appreciation and encouragement for the development of their career.in the developing world the contribution and participation of women in science research is very low,it is very urgent to increase their entrance in the research field.

Community

Laura,

I have to imagine that relevance would intrigue anyone. I'll have to look up some of Barbara Whitman's techniques. I strongly believe that relevance to world problems would draw more students into science.

I've seen the largest difference between boys and girls in computer science. Girls seem to be more focused on solving problems as opposed to "tinkering".

Good discussion!

Marian

Community

Hi Christi and Marian,
Yes, I agree that a focus on helping with world problems is likely to attract girls/women. That insight is more important than many designers of introductory courses in science and math appreciate, although there are some wonderful exceptions to that rule. I also think courses that focus on real world problems also are more interesting to boys and men! Barbara Whitman from Colorado College teaches intro physics like this, and she has sparked more interest in both girls and boys. So making the change to that sort of focus should help recruit anyone to science.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Laura,

Thank you for posting this! So great that these girls are doing so well.

Christianna -- I think you may have hit on something with your comment on real-world relevance. I have seen the same focus among many young girls.

Marian

Community

Hi Laura,

I'm glad you wrote about this. I was happy to see that the top 3 winners in Google's science fair were girls. One thing I noticed is that Google made it clear that one of the criteria for success in their contest was that the science projects must be "relevant to the world today". All of the 3 winners' projects had very clear applications to real-world problems. Research shows that girls express more of an interest in making a difference in society than boys do on average. Yea for Google for highlighting real-world relevance as important for success in science!

Community

Dear Sunji,
Are you trying to say that the only reason the girls won is because the boys aren't trying or aren't interested? I think that sounds insulting. Say what you mean straight out. Do you think boys are better than girls at science in spite of these winners of the prestigious science fairs? Was the judging unfair in your opinion?

Community

I wonder if the boys with talent in science are choosing economics instead these days? I know graduate schools have filled the ranks of men from foreign students, not from the US, although the females still have substantial US citizens among them. There must be something turning boys off, could it be the long career uncertainty involved in postdocs, pretenure stress, etc and the low pay??

Community

Hi Catherine,
I know what you mean. My daughter got some of that in high school for doing her science fair projects. Boys don't do it out of meanness or because they want to keep science all for themselves, they just do it because they can, because they are high school boys. I wish we could change that behavior, but I don't know how.
cheers,
Laura

Community

It's great to see girls getting positive reinforcement in science while in high school and junior high. At school, though, the girls who like science get a lot of teasing from guys, saying they are geeks and so forth, and sometimes that talks them out of what could be great success in science. They think it makes them less attractive to boys. Some girls are willing to ignore that, but not all girls.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback