Women in Science
Other Topics
« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 31, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Stereotype Threat--Can you recognize it?

Aa Aa Aa

I heard the term "stereotype threat" thrown around for years before I had a clue what it meant.  Ilan Dar-Nimrod and Steven J Heine* presented an important short article on stereotype threat for women in mathematics. Their definition of stereotype threat was "a phenomenon in which the activation of a self-relevant stereotype leads people to show stereotype-consistent behavior, thus perpetuating the stereotypes."  Basically, it's a complex power-of-suggestion rule: when someone suggests you are a certain way, even if you aren't it can makes you go ahead and behave as if you are that way.

Here is how they showed it.  They tested women using a GRE-like mathematics test.  Two similar sections of mathematics problems were separated by an essay about the gender gap in mathematics test scores.  One essay attributed the gap to genetic differences (meaning it's fixed, unchangeable).  Another essay said the gap was due to experiential learning (which can differ and be changed). The authors also used an essay which claimed there was no gap between the two genders' scores, and one in which no cause was discussed. All scores on part 2 (the part after the essay) were corrected for scores on part 1 (before the essay), to remove student achievement as a variable.

Women who read the essays attributing the discrepancy to genetics or not attributing it to any cause scored significantly (p = 0.02) worse on part 2 of the methematics test. The other two groups scored consistently higher on part 2.   So, just telling the women that they might be genetically disposed to be worse than men at mathematics worked as a stereotype threat.

I know women science students for whom this analysis fits: they would be intimidated, they would internalize the bad message, they would fulfill it. I  also think that there are women whose reaction would be the opposite.  They would say, "I know this is wrong, and I'm going to prove it."  Perhaps these are the Lise Meitners and the Marie Curies. Of course, we need more women in mathematics and science than the outright geniuses.

What do you think? Have you seen situations where women students seem to react as if they had felt a stereotype threat?  Choose one of these and comment!

A.  I have never seen any evidence of stereotype threat.

B. I believe it exists but have only rarely seen it.

C. I run into self-fulfilling negative views of women in science all the time.

D. I don't know if I am smart enough to answer your question.

*Ilan Dar-Nimrod and Seven J Heine, Exposure to Scientific Theories Affects Women's Performance. Science 314: 435 (2006).

Comments
18  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Best, Reliable and Most Recommended producers of High quality documents, real and fake passports, drivers licenses, ID cards, Social security card, birth certificates, diplomas, Visas, SSN, Marriage certificates, divorce papers,US green cards, University degrees,counterfeit money, SSD chemical solution and activation powder used for cleaning coated black money, and other documents for a number of countries like: USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom. This list is not full.

Contact Us: Genuine Documents High Quality Producer

Quick Email: glodocuments12@gmail.com

Text or call..............(201) 351-9926

Skype..... william.persey

Security Feature Present: -IDs Scan-yes -HOLOGRAMS: IDENTICAL -BARCODES: IDS SCAN -UV: YES FAKE AND REAL IDS WITH FAST SHIPPING.

Please send us an email or text if you will want to place an order for documents? Buy Fake and Registered documents, Fake IDs for Over 50 state drivers license cards and State ID cards available. Includes state drivers license hologram and magnetic strip or bar codes on back. The BEST authentic fake IDs on the web.Same quality, high resolution that Department of Motor Vehicles use. Send current .JPG or .GIF of current license with picture and changes in NAME, DOB, LICENSE#, RESTRICTIONS, etc.we produce the best fake ID online we sell UK/EU fake ID, Canadian fake ID, Australian fake ID and fake IDs for many other countries from fake passports to fake driving licenses to fake bank statements we have your identification needs covered. Our fake IDs include all security features such as genuine holograms, ultraviolet watermarks, intaglio printing, special paper , fluorescent dyes, RFID chips, bar codes corresponding to your details and more. Our fake IDs are identical to the real thing no other site will offer you this quality we are the best identity protect your privacy and take back your freedom.

Keywords (for USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa,) Passport Social Security Card Driver's License (All States $ Countries) Birth certificates SSN ID cards Residence Permits Visas RN-Registered Nurse Certificate Canada Cards United States Cards Adoption Certificates Birth Certificates Death Certificates Divorce Certificates Marriage Certificates Custom Certificates High School Diplomas G.E.D. Diplomas Home School Diplomas College Degrees University Degrees Trade Skill Certificates Social Security Validate SSN Number divorce papers University degrees counterfeit money US green cards SSD chemical solution and activation powder used for cleaning coated black money, buy real registered and fake passport id cards drivers license Buy Real and Fake, High quality: passports,drivers licenses,ID cards,birth certificates,school diplomas,Visas,SSN,divorce papers,counterfeit money,SSD chemical solution,all being registered or unregistered verifiable in the DB and Scannable.

General Support:::::::::glodocuments12@gmail.com

Text or call............(201) 351-9926

Best and Most Recommended Producers of High Quality Real and Fake Passport, ID Card, Social Security Card, Driver's License,

Birth Certificate.... Fake And Real Passport, Drivers License, Id Cards, Certificates, Diploma.Text: (201) 351-9926

Community

BUY BENZODIAZEPINES TABLETS,TRAMADOL,XANAX,ACTAVIS SYRUP COUGH AND MANY OTHER NOW

Chloidiazepoxide-----Librium
Triazolam------halcion
Bromazepam------Lexomil
Nitiazepam------noctamide
Flunitiazepam-----Rohypnol
Oxazepam------Seresta
Lorazepam------Temesta
Diazepam--------Valium
Chlorazepam------Tranxene

Contact info below.
Email: (celinaramone@gmail.com)
We offer free shipping to costumers who buy in bulk.

Community

Buy Healthy Africa Black Scorpion for sale. Contact now if you are interested.
Email:( celinaramone@gmail.com )

Community

We are able to give you an original documents like: Social Security Number, Birth Certificate, Resident Permits, Driver's license and School Diplomas and Birth-Certificates etc at a very affordable price. If you are in need of any original documents do send us an email and i will get back to you with your reply in less than no time.

We also produce documents like Visa, Passport, ID card, Birth Certificate, Driver's License, Transcripts,National and International Certificates, Social Security Cards,Medical Certificates, Football Licenses, Residence Permits and many more
others. Our documents are been use now all over the world without any security problems.We also deal in authentic

Authentic Banknotes Available.

Contact info below.
Email: (celinaramone@gmail.com)

Community

Fake IDs for Over 50 states, drivers license cards and State ID cards available. Includes state driver?s license hologram and magnetic strip or bar codes on back. 2 business day shipping order (2.95 shipping and handling). The BEST authentic fake IDs on the web.Same quality, high resolution that Department of Motor Vehicles use.Send current .JPG or .GIF of current license with picture and changes in NAME, DOB, LICENSE #, RESTRICTIONS, etc.we produce the best fake ID online we sell UK/EU fake ID, Canadian fake ID, Australian fake ID and fake IDs for many other countries from fake passports to fake driving licenses to fake bank statements we have your identification needs covered. Our fake IDs include all security features such as genuine holograms, ultraviolet watermarks, intaglio printing, special paper, fluorescent dyes, RFID chips, bar codes corresponding to your details and more. Our fake IDs are identical to the real thing no other site will offer you this quality we are the best identity protect your privacy and take back your freedom.

Keywords
Payslips
Bank Statements
Utility Bills
Templates
Canada Cards
United States Cards
Student Cards
International Cards
Private Cards
Adoption Certificates
Baptism Certificates
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Divorce Certificates
Marriage Certificates
Marijuana license
Credit cards
Custom Certificates
High School Diplomas
G.E.D. Diplomas
Home School Diplomas
College Degrees
University Degrees
Trade Skill Certificates
Social Security
Validate SSN Number
divorce papers
University degrees
counterfeit money
US green cards
SSD chemical solution and activation powder used for cleaning coated black money

Contact EMAIL…………….johnsoncunny@gmail.com
Privacy
My Account

Text: Text +1 (912) 217-4581

Community

Buy passports,driver's licenses, ID cards,birth certificates etc(svenwexler18@yahoo.com)

Guaranteed 24 hour passports, citizenship cards, driver's license, diplomas,

degrees, certificates service available. Tourist and business visa services

available to residents of all 50 states and all nationalities Worldwide. are

unique producers of Authentic High Quality passports, Real Genuine Data Base

Registered and unregistered Passports and other Citizenship documents.I can

guarantee you a new Identity starting from a clean new genuine Birth

Certificate, ID card, Drivers License,Passports, Social security card with

SSN, credit files, and credit cards, school diplomas, school degrees all in an

entirely new name issued and registered in the government database system..

We use high quality equipment and materials to produce authentic and

counterfeit documents. All secret features of real passports are carefully

duplicated for our Registered and unregistered documents.we are unique

producer of quality false and Real documents.We offer only original high-

quality Registered and unregistered passports, driver's licenses, ID cards,

stamps, Visa, school Diplomas and other products for a number of countries

like: USA, Australia,Belgium,Brazil, Canada, Italian,Finland, France, Germany,

Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa,Spain, United Kingdom and worldwide.

Contact e-mails:=========================== svenwexler18@yahoo.com

General support:=========================== svenwexler18@yahoo.com

Whatsapp Number:=========================== +1 (610)634-6554

We offer high quality counterfeit bills for the following currencies;

EUR - Euro

USD - US Dollar

GBP - British Pound

INR - Indian Rupee

AUD - Australian Dollar

CAD - Canadian Dollar

AED - Emirati Dirham

ZAR - Rand

CHF - Swiss Franc

CNY - Chinese Yuan Renminbi

MYR - Malaysian Ringgit

THB - Thai Baht

we are able to produce the following items;

REAL BRITISH PASSPORT.

REAL CANADIAN PASSPORT.

REAL FRENCH PASSPORT.

REAL AMERICAN PASSPORT.

REAL RUSSIAN PASSPORT.

REAL JAPANESES PASSPORT.

REAL CHINESE PASSPORT.

AND REAL PASSPORT FOR COUNTRIES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION.

REAL DRIVERS LICENSE,I.D CARDS,BIRTH CERTIFICATES,DIPLOMATS,MARRIAG E

CERTIFICATES,AND VISAS.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED BRITISH PASSPORT.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED CANADIAN PASSPORT.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED FRENCH PASSPORT.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED AMERICAN PASSPORT.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED RUSSIAN PASSPORT.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED JAPANESES PASSPORT.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED CHINESE PASSPORT.

REGISTERED AND UNREGISTERED PASSPORT FOR COUNTRIES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION.

Contact e-mails:=========================== svenwexler18@yahoo.com

General support:=========================== svenwexler18@yahoo.com

Whatsapp Number:=========================== +1 (610)634-6554

Buy Registered and unregistered USA(United States) passports,

Buy Registered and unregistered Australian passports,

Buy Registered and unregistered Belgium passports,

Buy Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) passports,

Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian(Canada) passports,

Buy Registered and unregistered Finnish(Finland) passports,

Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) passports,

Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) passports,

From:  Buy passports,driver's licenses, ID cards,birth certificates etc(svenwexler18@yahoo.com) |  August 9, 2017
Community

We produce Real registered and Fake Novelty passports,drivers licenses,ID cards,birth certificates,diplomas,Visas,SSN,Marriage certificates,divorce papers,US green cards,University degrees
(williamsjohnson790@gmail.com) Gun license,Insurance, Passport Visas, Entry and Exit Stamps, Death Certificates, Residence Permits, Work Permits, Ultility Bills, Invitation Letters, Jobs, CV, Counterfeit Bank Notes, Change all identy documents, Clear criminal records,Social Security Number, Birth Certificate, Driver's license, USA/UK Residence Permits, School Diplomas and Certificates, Teacher's License, Utility Bills, Divorce Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Property Tittles, Customs, Counterfeit Money,birth certificates,diplomas,Visas,SSN,Marriage certificates,divorce papers,US green cards,University degrees,Stamps,Marijuana license, registered TOEFL, IELTS, ESOL, CELTA/DELTA & other English Language Certificates,credit cards,SSD chemical solution and activation powder used for cleaning coated black money, and other documents.....

Emails.....;williamsjohnson790@gmail.com

wilijohon399@gmail.com

Text.....(214) 612-3855

We guarantee you a New Identity Package (Documents) starting from a clean new Genuine Birth Certificate, ID card, Drivers License, forging documents, Novelty Drivers License, Genuine Passports, Novelty Passport, Social security card with SSN, credit files, and credit cards, school diplomas, school degrees and Bank Statements all in an entirely NEW NAME issued and registered in the government database system so you can travel with no problem accross security borders even when the authorities checked them you documents will be report legit with fresh number . We prooduce documents principally in two formats, that's Genuine and Novelty Formats.We offers you pro quality in Degrees and Certificates or Work Permits which is the best way to solve those questions in criterias you lack for work or to travel. Our company has rich experience in making diploma and certificates . Fake degree ,fake diploma and fake certificate are available for all countries and types as long as you have a sampled document or can specify the institution correctly, we are going to produce that exach document. We can match the same design to 100% accuracy, with no difference in quality and authenticity of our degrees. 100% exact as the original, raised lettering to embossed foil seals. Our Novelty Documents are truly amazing.
-IDs Scan-yes
-HOLOGRAMS: IDENTICAL
-BARCODES: IDS SCAN
-UV: YES
FAKE AND REAL IDS WITH FAST SHIPPING.

wilijohon399@gmail.com

Text.....(214) 612-3855

We produce Guaranteed Real time Database Registered Passport, Citizenship, ID Cards, Driver's license, Diplomas, Degrees, Certificates, SSN all paperwork service available. Tourist and business Visa services available to residents of all 50 states, all nationalities and Countries Worldwide. Where to buy fake id card, We are unique producers of Authentic High Quality documents, Real Genuine Data Base Registered and Novelty Passports, fake uk Id Cards, thailand ID Card, passport thailand, uk passport and other documents like Degree, Diploma etc. add fake canadian canadian passports product

Keywords:

Canada Cards
United States Cards
Student Cards
International Cards
Private Cards
Adoption Certificates
Baptism Certificates
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Divorce Certificates
Marriage Certificates
Passports,
Driver's License,
ID Cards,
Social Security Cards,
Birth Certificates,
Express work permits,
IELTS certificate,TOIC ETC
Express canadian citizenship docs,
verified id cards,
Passport registered,
Canada Cards,
United States Cards,
Student Cards,
International Cards,
Private Cards,
Adoption Certificates,
Baptism Certificates,
Death Certificates,
Divorce Certificates,
Marriage Certificates,
Custom Certificates,
High School Diplomas,
G.E.D. Diplomas,
Home School Diplomas,
College Degrees,
University Degrees,
Trade Skill Certificates,
Social Security,
Validate SSN Number,
Driver License,
Spy Products,
Voice Changers,
Listening Devices,
Invisible Ink,
DMV Record Inquiry,
Background Check,
Investigate Anyone,
Visa issues,
Clear criminal records
Trade Skill Certificates
Social Security
Validate SSN Number
divorce papers
University degrees
counterfeit money
US green cards
SSD chemical solution and activation powder used for cleaning coated black money

wilijohon399@gmail.com

Text.....(214) 612-3855

Community

Great, Phoebe! I will post a track about AAUP report next week with a live link in it. Do come back and bend the discussion in any direction you find interesting!
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi, everybody.

I have taught about stereotype threat in my first-year seminar-lab microbiology course for biology & biochemistry majors. The students really seem to connect to an article by Steele from The Atlantic Monthly, 1999. I plan to keep teaching about it in my first- and second-year courses.

Bob Grossman and colleagues at Kalamazoo have developed a case/problem to teach about it: http://www.sciencecases.org/stereotype_threat/case4.asp.

The recent AAUW report on "why so few" women in the sciences includes a section on stereotype threat and why it is so important for teachers to know about it and at least try to avoid provoking it. http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/whysofew.cfm There are a few other main points in that report that I'd like to discuss here so I'm going to poke around and see if I can start a new line about the AAUW report.

Happy summer research to all of you!

Community

Dear wimp,
I would consider going as a show of comaraderie, but I might not volunteer to steer the boat or jump in while going down the rapids if those things make you feel threatened. Personally, I don't think you need to be willing to take physical risks to be willing and able to take on big risks in doing science, i.e. being willing to challenge the paradigms. I know people sometimes say courage is courage and if you don't want to dangle from a rock wedge, you can't challenge scientific assumptions either, but I don't agree.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi there! My boss wants us to go river rafting with him on some rapids on the Kern River. He goes skydiving too, and rock climbing in Yosemite, etc. I am not into these activities and yet I'm afraid he'll think badly of me if I won't go. Any advice?
Wimp

Community

I think skydiving sounds like more fun that speaking in front of people. I've never been any good at it, and I flunked the only oral examination I had and had to retake it. I decided never to speak in public again if I could help it.

Community

Skydiving eh? Helen, I don't know. I appreciate risk-taking in choosing scientific directions, but physical risk isn't my bag. I know lots of scientists who are into it, though.
Back in my postdoctoral years, I felt like public speaking was akin to skydiving, but only in the sense that I wouldn't do either one, ever, willingly. Only I kept having dreams of enjoying teaching classes. The dreams kept me thinking about academia. Once there, experience made it less and less threatening. I finally saw what the audience was getting as being more important than what I was feeling; that was a big step forward.

Community

You bring up an interesting point Laura. I love public speaking now and the turning point was a discussion with another graduate student who I considered to be really good at. Over a beer he communicated how much he loved the adrenaline of having all eyes on him. Once I saw it that way and his comparison to skydiving...something we both enjoyed, it all turned around for me. Now I too love the energy of being in front of a crowd and having really smart people listening to what I have to say. I wish I could communicate to young women how much fun that thrill can be..

Community

Wow, Helen, that's the kind of thing that makes you feel we women in science took two steps backwards from that talk, her own bad experience and the weak example of how a women would do. But she can't learn to speak in public without trying.

I know what you mean too, because one of my sophomores, who is quite brilliant, is so diffident I wish I could inject her with testo before she leads a discussion. I was just the same, way back when. What I imagined doing went away in the stress of having all eyes on me when it was my turn to lead a discussion. It's all just practice for women. Do men learn to do it without practice? It looks like it, sometimes.

cheers,
Laura

Community

B. I do look for it at times and I do find it when I do, but I wouldn't say it is a chronic issue.
For example, at a conference I attended as a grad student, the only woman to speak got up and did an awful job. She had the "um" disease as I like to call it. The sad thing was a group of us women were talking with her before the talk and commenting on how common this feature was in women speakers and not in the men we saw. We felt bad when she got up and had such a rough time. You could see on the organizers faces that they would not be taking a chance on another woman anytime in the near future, but hey "no pressure"!

Community

D. just joking. sort of. so hard to be aware of one's own stereotype threat.

Community

C
Lotsa women out there don't have any idea how good they really are, and suspect the worst. Guess who thinks they're better than they really are?

FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback