Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 13, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

iBio Magazine from NSF Features Consuelo Alvarez and Others

Aa Aa Aa

Hi Friends of Women in Science,

I recently heard from Malcolm Campbell recommending a magazine article. NSF, NIGMS in the NIH, and HHMI cosponsor the online magazine iBio, and the most recent issue at http://www.ibiomagazine.org/issues/december-2012-issue/alvarez-eckdahl-a-fowlks.html is available free to visitors. As you know, I believe that biographies can be powerful motivators of future scientists, and this issue can be very helpful to those of you who agree with me. It includes a video with biographical details about Consuelo Alvarez along with Edison Fowlkes and Todd Eldridge, all scientists who are enthusiastically involved in career in biology education. These professors make genomics analysis and research available to their students, partly though their participation in the Genome Consortium for Active Teaching (GCAT), an organization I've supported for years.

The video features all three of these scientists talking about how they became professors. Consuelo came to this country from Ecuador and she tells her story in Spanish. Edison has taken on national leadership in genomics for Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Todd was the first in his family to go to college. All three have helped teach workshops by GCAT to provide microarray experience to professors dealing mostly with undergraduate students (I've taught these too, but some years earlier). And now that GCAT has stopped supporting microarray teaching and research, Consuelo, Edison, and Todd have progressed into systems biology with their students, letting them design organisms with unique functions.

I know all three of these scientists and am delighted that they've agreed to share their life experiences in this way. I hope that their lives will stimulate others to consider a career in science education. Take a look and see if you could use these video excerpts in some way to inspire young scientists.

cheers,
Laura

Comments
1  Comment  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Laura,
This is great. I love all the biographical information you post, and having a woman talk in Spanish about becoming a professor is amazing. The other two will speak to some of my students' needs as well. Very helpful!

SSW

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback