Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: April 13, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Latina Computing Resources

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

I recently became aware of a group supported by the Anita Borg Institute that supports Latinas in Computing. It's called Systers or LiC (http://anitaborg.org/initiatives/systers/lic/). The group was formed at the 2006 Grace Hopper Conference, an annual conference for women in computing also sponsored by the Anita Borg Institute. You can view the conference website at gracehopper.org. As we complain that women in somputing are a shrinking minority, not a growing minority as had been hoped, here is a group with potential to turn things around. The 2011 conference highlighted Sheryl Sandberb, a powerhouse speaker whom we have often mentioned on this forum.
The Latinas in Computing group works together online, and also organizes events at the Grace Hopper Conferences. It formed spontaneously, a way to support each other's careers by networking. As we have so often noted, networking is a vital resource for a woman trying to make it in STEM fields. I'm enormously pleased to find that this group exists, and I plan to keep up with and highlight its activities.
cheers,
Laura
Comments
1  Comment  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Laura,
What is the Anita Borg Institute? Sound like it supports good causes!
cheers,
Sunda

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback