Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 10, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Student Mothers' Needs Articulated

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Inside Higher Ed for June 21 reported on a new survey checking up on needs of mother-students. The report pointed out that scheduling flexibility was the top issue of concern, with 77% citing that as an ongoing issue, but only 1/3 saying their college was not nearly flexible enough. Career services and academic advising were other important areas of concern.

The study showed that 56% of the student mothers work 30 or more hours each week, which explains the flexibility's premier importance to them.

I was suprprised, frankly, that daycare, especially daycare for sick kids, as well as the affordability of daycare, didn't rise to the top. Do you have impressions of what student mothers at your site need and want to succeed?

Cheers,

Laura

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

As a mother and graduate student, I agree that flexibility and affordable daycare are both important. However, as daycare is often not affordable, I and other student-moms I know often work to find a schedule that lessons daycare time (or takes advantage of scholarships). Currently, my husband works from home and has taken over the role of primary caregiver for our youngest child. With our oldest two children, I stayed home, worked and went to class. I enrolled the children in part-time daycare to cover the time I was in class, and worked after my husband came home at night. In other words, while daycare is expensive and a major concern, many of us realize this before going to school and make adjustments as we can.

In response to a previous comment, I am sure that the flexibility referred to by student mothers in this survey was about more than class schedules. Most of us understand that class times are difficult to change. However, assignment times and office hours can be flexible. For undergraduate work, most professors have strict attendance policies designed for full time students without other major responsibilities (such as raising a family). When I gave birth to my daughter in my junior year, I had to bring a doctors note and still received a reduced grade on a test (despite contacting the professor ahead of time to discuss the issue). I was amazed and frustrated at the lack of flexibility demonstrated by professors dealing with student-mothers on a regular basis at my institution.

Community

Students who are parents of either sex have the same problems with scheduling and work. This is not a mothers-only issue.
However, colleges don't necessarily have the ability to offer flexibility in class scheduling. Accreditation requirements limit the number of courses professors can teach and oversee each year. Classrooms are also a limiting resource, as are nonconflicting time slots for required courses. Finally, many professors, instructors, and adjuncts are unwilling to teach classes after six pm, and those classes often don't fill to capacity and are the first to be dropped.
It is helpful when general education classes are taught online, as it frees up a lot of time to be at work or with your kid instead of in the classroom. But this is not a solution for science classes with a lab, as a physical presence is necessary.

Community

Laura-- I think both flexibility and affordable daycare matter to the student moms I see regularly. They seem to work themselves into the ground too ( I agree with the coffee comment above!). I worry about them, especially when they work long hours, have lots of science homework, and are nursing.

Sylvia F-C

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback