Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 27, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Outreach by All Women in Science?

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,
I was talking with a friend in science the other day who suggested all the women who have succeeded in science should automatically do as much outreach as they can. She liked the idea of biographies (which I view as my own major effort in this area) but she said there's no substitute for personal contact, where girls and women considering science can see our delight in discoveries and find out that our drive to learn matches their own, and we've been able to convert that into a career. Do you agree? What kinds of outreach activities do you do, if you have time for any? What do you think works?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Laura

My local AAUW is passionate about science. We raise money to send local 7th grade girls to Tech Trek, a summer science camp for girls -- hands on, all women and girls only, on a college campus. We then follow-up with a "club" that meets once a month and takes camp alum (and others) on field trip to science-related women in their work spaces. For example, we've visited vets, MDs, local engineering firms, government labs, etc.

I think Tech Trek goes national this year, so we can have more participants. Contact your local AAUW

Marian

Community

Well, Davida and Suzanne, I guess there are some women who would deter girls from pursuing science, but I really think a lot more could do a good job than actually bother to do any outreach. If guilt is what would motivate them to finally get out there, more power to it. Organizations like AAUW, for example, offer lots of ways to help. Some AWIS chapters do too, and there's always informal opportunities in schools near you. Just feed it forward, just care.
Arabella

Community

Maybe I would put it more gently, but I agree with Davida that it's not a requirement that a woman in science should do outreach. It's a choice. I enjoy it and I think I do it pretty well, so I continue to do school and girl scout visits. If they didn't go well, I would reconsider.
Suze

Community

Dear Laura,
I hate all this shoulda woulda stuff. If people want to do outreach, they will and it will be good. If they have different interests and talents, why dig out the guilt trips over it? I think some people might appear and accidentally convince girls that they don't want to be workaholic loners like that person. Some should stay in the lab!
DKR

Community

Dear Laura,
I started doing experiments with grade school classes when my kids were in grade school, and I've kept on doing it. Some of these kids act like they've never had the fun of testing something for themselves before and it's a real kick for them. And for me!
cheers,
Mireille

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback