Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 20, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

National Geographic Spotlights Women in Science

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Jane Lee just posted coverage on the National Geographic blog of six important women in science. She says their names are "likely unfamliar for one reason--because they are women." She interviewed me in preparing the article and she quotes some of my conclusions about Nettie Stevens in the article.
Her chosen neglected women scientists are Jocelyn Bell Burnet (discovered pulsars), Esther Lederberg (discovered lambda phage, collaborated with first husband Joshua to invent replica plating and study bacterial recombination), Chien-Shiung Wu (helped overturn the law of parity in particle physics, enabled development of atomic bombs), Lise Meitner (discovered nuclear fission), Rosalind Franklin (obtained critical x-ray diffraction evidence on which DNA structure models were based), and Nettie Stevens (sex chromosome discovery).
Jane Lee writes lively, clear brief outlines of their discoveries and the reasons why they didn't and still don't receive the recognition due, then invites us to suggest others who might be forgetten by science historians and textbook writers. Have a look at her article here (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130519-women-scientists-overlooked-dna-history-science/ ) and if you'd like, suggest other women scientists who were neglected when the credit was assigned for discoveries.
cheers,
Laura
Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

WOMEN SHOULD BE RECOGNIZED LIKE MEN BECAUSE THEY CAN DO WHICH MAN DO OR MORE

Community

Laura--I like this article! Didn't know that Morgan had snitched the credit for Stevens' work, even though he knew her well and apparently admired her. Bell Burnet and Wu were the "new" discoveries for me on this list. I always feel like if these people were men, their names would be household words. I guess it's up to us women in science to learn as much about the others who achieved great things as we can and spread the word!
cheers,
ARW

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback