Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 3, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Cinderella in Science

Aa Aa Aa
Hi friends,
I don't know if the establishment prefers attractive women in science (the Barbie look).  On August 20, Libby Gruner posted a commentary on Cinderella in modern academic life on Inside Higher Education, here.  I wonder if we need to be concerned about this in the context of young women going into science, having just finished one of James Watson's latter day memoirs (Girls, Genes, and Gamov).  

In industry and in acdemia, do we have any sense for whether being beautiful in the standard sense is an asset to a woman's career?  I look at women who were the first female professors or early ones at major R1 universities and I have a sense that both beauty and brains once were helpful.  Later female hires often look to me as if they are "nice looking" (i.e. normal) rather than raving beauties.  I know early hires were sometimes "hired with" a desirable man, so that would possibly select for beauty.

Is this a trend anyone else has noticed?  What do you think is happening now?  I will note that my AWIS branch is interested in having workshops not only on financial planning for women but also on aspects of beauty and health.  I am concerned about the inner meaning of connecting that to a women in science group.

What do you think?

A No, beauty isn't an important criterion for judging women being hired/promoted today.

B. No one talks about it, but I think it's still being used sub rosa to evaluate women.  For me, I think it doesn't matter.

C. Yes, from what I've seen, women are expected to be both beautiful and smart to succeed in science, while men can slouch around in the same dirty gym shirt for days and still succeed. 
Comments
8  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I got email from a couple of East Coast friends saying Hollywood reigns there too. Any responses from the South, Midwest, etc??
cheers,
Laura

Community

I don't think it's just Hollywood, after all we see TV and movies and ads all over the country! And I think both men and women prefer the attractive as hmcbride said.

Community

Hi Helen,
I'd be interested to hear too. I suspect that there is a tendency like this everywhere, although it might be strongest near the Hollywood epicenter.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I'd be interested to hear if this viewpoint is as prevalent outside California. On the West Coast, we are surrounded by an unusually high number of good looking people, particularly in LA/Hollywood area where I work. Would the same skewing be true in other areas of the country where most everyone is normal looking?

Community

What I hate is the ageism and the anti-fat-ism that I run into. I have a thyroid condition and I have a very difficult time not gaining weight compared to normal people. But people act like I'm despicable because I'm on the heavy side. I still have brains and I can still be a good team member, if given a chance.

Community

Hi Helen,
Yes, that is the tendency. I try to fight that in dealing with students but it's pretty difficult. It seems like most people don't even try. But I hate to think someone who, through no fault of their own, lacks beauty but still has brains and integrity will always struggle. The job description doesn't say, "looks good, has charm," but it might as well!
cheers,
Laura

Community

B. It's not a secret that human beings prefer attractiveness. Even babies stare longer at symmetrical (i.e. beautiful) faces than unattractive ones from their earliest moments. It's basic biology. Why do you think pre-med students are encouraged to cultivate whatever looks they've got? No one trusts an ugly doctor...and the same holds true in science. If you have two candidates who are equally qualified, nice personality, why wouldn't you choose the one who dresses well and is attractive? This goes for men in industry as well. They dress just as well (or better) than the women and get those $100 haircuts too.

Community

I have to pick B here. It matters sometimes, depending on who is doing the choosing. I try to ignore that when I suspect it but interfere to stop it if it happens right in my face.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback