Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: August 30, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Why retire?

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,

Last time I wrote about the attraction of science. Perhaps that explains what I'm writing about this time: women in science usually don't want to retire. What don't they want to give up? Not the academic or industrial administrative tasks, not usually the teaching, more often it's the experiments, the daily surprises as the scientist reveals nature's secrets, that the women scientist is not willing to leave.
I've interviewed a number of women scientists about this issue, and I enjoy hearing their enthusiasm for their science, even as they become concerned in some cases about their physical frailty. But some of them don't contend with this issue and can go on into 70s, 80s, and 90s without too much physical problem. More power to them, I say!
It's not usually possible for them to administer big groups or get major grants that late in a career, but plenty of younger collaborators, often ones who trained with this woman earlier, are delighted to welcome her thinking, input, and experiments.
Several such women I interviewed told me of husbands playing golf every day after career in science, but said, somewhat scornfully, "But that kind of nonsense is not for me." Serious lover of the chase of science, these women, with plenty of staying power.
Do you know older women in science who are staying around to inspire and work with the younger generations?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

very few. there should be more!

Community

Hi Sharon,
I agree about Lynn Margulis. I heard her late in her life too and there was no decrease in enthusiasm I could detect!
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,

I think Lynn Margulis must have been like this. I heard her speak the year before she passed away, and she must have been way up there in age, but still so full of life and vigor!

S C-S

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback