Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: June 1, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Report in PBK newsletter on status of women in science

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

A short article that I wrote was just released, about reports, including the AAUW report that my co-blogger Christi Corbett co-wrote, on how women are doing in science, in the Key Reporter of Phi Beta Kappa. I also summarized the White House Council on Women and Girls report and the MIT update report, placing them all in the context of our country's need to become more competitive in science. I hope that this article will make alums of PBK around the country more aware of our issues.

How much do you think people know about our eroding scientific capital and how women in science can contribute to it, especially if encouraged to stick around once they declare an interest? Answer the poll and comment below.

cheers,
Laura

You can see the whole article online here:

http://www.pbk.org/home/FocusNews.aspx?id=736

Comments
12  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Laura,

Your post of June 6 is right on the money. Being a scientist gains one neither money nor respect. I believe those two factors are key in understanding the diminishing numbers of STEM students. Until there is a push from society, which will likely have to come from a government initiative, it is not clear that will change.

On another tack, women are NOT encouraged to pursue science, despite existing programs and a public view that "that's a solved problem". Subtle and non-subtle barriers are strong, including the old-boys-club that still runs most of the physical science applications, labs, and companies in this country.

As for the question of foreign students, while I would not want to close schools to non-residents, I believe that US students in the physical sciences are finding themselves cut out of academia. Non-residents can't get jobs that the DOD (and other three letter agencies) fund, which are the largest part of funding for physical science. Therefore, colleges are becoming a holding place for immigrants, both as grad students and professors.

Marian

Community

Hi Melissa,
I expect so, but in the absence of the data, maybe still being collected, I'd guess it's about the money and about the prestige. My students with a BA walk out into tech jobs for 30K while my friend Eleanor sends econ majors out to start at 60K or more. Word is out, science doesn't pay. It's OK for it to be hard if it paid, at least in respect if not in money, but better if both. However, today scientists seem to get neither a lot of money nor a lot of respect.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I guess we've taken a turn into discussing the nationalities making up graduate school classes more than the lack of interest in science among students from the US. If we kept women who express interest, we'd still be losing a lot of good men who in past years might have considered science. Is someone analyzing why they're choosing business or whatever?
MKS
PS Of course I do want to keep the women! And the men.

Community

Hi Mei Ling Katy,
I think, even in these days of high security, that it is possible for some to do that. But then, if foreign male scientists from countries where women lack respect are in charge of labs, the situation for women in training becomes more difficult. Women in training need some variety in people to choose as supervisors.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I think some of those foreign students want to stay in the US and do research. So maybe not really bad problem.

Community

Hi Mirelle,
You are sort of right. This competitiveness issue isn't in tune with what we tell people when we recruit grad students. We think short-term then. But when we stand back and look at the whole picture, try to think long-term, we see that we are going to need scientists to do research, to be professors, to be science writers, etc, and unless some of our own students step up and become scientists, we wonder where we'll find those people. So there is nothing at all wrong with our current foreign graduate students, it's a supply and demand mismatch people forsee later on that worries the powers that be.

Community

Sorry Mirelle. It's a delicate balance. We do want to welcome graduate students from all over the world, but we don't want to train NO home-grown ones who mean to stay and work here. The theory seems to be that most of the foreign born ones return home after training.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Wait a minute. Do you guys really want only US citizens to go to graduate school here? The schools recruit in Europe and China pretty heavily, if we are not wanted unless we're from US. This does not make sense. There are about 40% US citizens among the graduate students here, and everyone gets along fine. What's the problem??

Community

Hi Mad Hatter and Kelli,
I heard a rousing talk at the American Society for Microbiology last week about how scientists can make our issues more visible. The speaker suggested we say, "I work for you," if anyone asks what our job is. Then explain that most science is funded by the government and benefits all the citizens. Apparently, saying 'I'm a scientist," shuts people up, but this new approach enables you to have a dialog with "people in the street" or in airplanes or wherever. I'm going to try it.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I think the general public is ignorant about everything important. Don't get me started on politics. But for sure, the average citizen doesn't know or care about whether we have any US citizen scientists.

Community

Maybe I spend too much time with non-scientists, but I don't think the general public has a clue what's up with scientific worker supply and demand. I told someone last week that no one I went to grad school with was a US citizen and he was totally shocked. But that has been happening for years!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback