Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 9, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

L'Oreal UNESCO Awards Announced

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

The prestigious awards to international women in science sponsored by L'Oreal and UNESCO have been announced back in November. In our ongoing effort to make succeessful women in science more visible, I'd like to highlight the winners here. There are five, one per continent. I will list those from this year and then those selected last year and awarded back in February, 2011.

Just selected in November, 2011:

Jill Farant, Professor of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of South Africa, for discovery of how plants survive under very dry conditions. Africa and the Arab States.

Ingrid Scheffer, Professor of Paediatric Neurology, University of Melbourne, Australia, for identifying genes that can contribute to epilepsy. Asia/Pacific.

Frances Ashcroft. Professor of Physiology, Anatomy, and Genetics, University of Edinburgh, UK, for advancing understanding of insulin secretion and neonatal diabetes. Europe.

Susana Lopez, Professor of Developmental Genetics and Molecular Physiology, National University of Mexico, for identifying how rotaviruses cause the death of 600,000 children each year. Latin America.

Bonnie Bassler, Professor of Molecular Biology, Princeton University for her work on how bacteria "talk" with each other and the implications for health and disease. North America.

Awarded in February:

Fiaza Al-Kharafi, Professor of Chemistry, Kuwait University for her work on corrosion, a problem of particular importance to water treatment and the oil industry, for Africa and the Arab States.

Vivian Wing-Wah Yam, Professor of Chemistry and Energy, University of Hong King, for her work on light-emitting materials and innovative methods to capture the sun's energy. Asia/Pacific.

Anne L'Huillier, Professor of Atomic Physics, Lund University, Sweden, for development of the fastest camera for recording events in attoseconds Ia billionth of a billionth of a second). Europe.

Silvia Torres-Peimbert, Professor Emeritus, Institute of Asronomy, Mexico City. For her work on the chemical composition of nebulae and the origin of the universe. Latin America.

Jillian Banfield, Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences, U California, Berkeley, For her work on bacterial and material behavior under extreme conditions relevant to earth's environment. North America.

The press release stated that "For the past 13 years, the L'Oréal Corporate Foundation and UNESCO have sought to recognise women researchers who, through the scope of their work, have contributed to overcoming the global challenges of tomorrow. Each year, the For Women in Science Programme highlights scientific excellence and encourages talent."

How many of these women had you heard of before?

cheers,
Laura Hoopes

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Helen,
Great! Maybe when you see her you can congratulate her on winning this award last year! I think it's great for us to be reminded that women who make breakthroughs in science can be our friends too. It's not workaholic loners who make all the great discoveries. I believe that Lynn Margulis was a good example of a gregarious and also momentous scientist.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Jillian Banfield! She's just across the Bay from me, and I've been wanting to talk with her! I know her from her NSF-funded research that interests me. Congrats, Jillian!

Community

Dear Laura,

I didn't even know about Bonnie Bassler until she suddenly was president of the American Society for Microbiology last year. Women find it so hard to become visible even to other women in science! I will have to go back in your topics and find that TED video and watch it, but I also want to look up some of these other women, especially the rotavirus one.

DRM

Community

Hi Laura,
I like hearing about women who are succeeding all around the world, because usually we only hear about Americans if any. I'm sorry to say, though, Bassler is the only one I had heard about. I'm glad to hear about the two making breakthroughs in diabetes though, I can mention them in my class!
SP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback