Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 1, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Women Engineers out there?

Aa Aa Aa

Here's a cool posting from editor Ilona Miko:

I have heard from a lot of people recently who are pursing careers outside of academica. One of my recent discussions pointed me to the website for the society of women engineers. They have local sections you find by clicking on a map that tells you what's going on in the regional sections of the society. They feature jobs, professional help and ways to get involved with the society. Interested in intelligence? Right now they are featuring banners that the NSA (National Security Agency) is hiring. An engineering degree is one of the most versatile and valuable science degrees out there.

cheers,

Laura

For those of you in engineering, how do you use these services?

For those in other fields, do you societies do something similar? What would you like to see them do?

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I've been a resource at the ASCB Careers luncheon talking about getting a job in academia. Once there was a liberal arts prof at the table with me, and between us I think we answered all the urgent questions of those who ate with us. If they take our advice, they'll do well in their interviews. I wish I had known about this when I was looking for a position, but then times were a bit simpler then.

Community

Yes, I've been to the careers luncheon at the ASCB meetings. It's really great!
I also have found that AWIS has really helpful events on job searching and on negotiation. Some of my friends are sadly uninterested in the women in science group, but I think they are making a mistake.

Community

I'll say something from the point of view of two societies. American Soc for Cell Biology has been a leader in recognizing a need to support women in their field. Among their activities is a luncheon each year at the annual meeting of ASCB where experts have lunch with people who want to learn about their career experience. I went to the liberal arts college table quite a few times. Last time, I went as a learner to the table about scientific editing. It was tremedously helpful and interesting to be a student again!
At American Society for Microbiology annual meetings, there are education sessions and that is where women in science issues are most frequently discussed. There is also a women in science committee that hosts a talk and reception for anyone interested during the meeting.
I don't know about either society having job search help specifically for women, and that feature of the society Ilona mentioned sounds great to me.
cheers,
Laura

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback