Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: January 26, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Mentors as Champions of Change

Aa Aa Aa

Hi Friends of Women in Science,

In December, President Obama honored 12 people whose mentoring efforts had championed the entry of more diverse students into STEM fields. The list included:

Bianca Bailey, President of Engineers without Borders, Professor at Howard University.

Barbara Bitters, Asst Director for Career and Tech. Education, Wisconsin Dept. Public Instruction

Tamara Brown, Praxair Project Controls Engineer

Angela Byars-Winston, Assoc. Prof. University of Wisconsin Dept of Medicine

Judit Camach, Executive Director of SACNAS (Society for the Advancement of Chicano and Native American Scientists)

Elizabeth Chatman, Director of Teacher Development, Science Museum of Minnesota

Baker Franke, Teacher at University of Chicago Laboratory Schools.

Jennifer Harper Ogle, Assoc. Prof. Civil Engineering, Clemson University

Elisabeth Hayes, Prof English, Arizona State University

Bobby Shnable, Dean, School of Informatics, Indiana Univ, Bloomington

Karen Thole, Prof Mech. Engineering, Penn State Univ.

Avis Yates Rivers, President and CEO, Technologies Concept Group

These people have created and supported both formal and informal outreach programs that attract young women and people of color into science careers. They deserve our congratulations!

cheers,
Laura

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi Laura,
I love that SACNAS was recognized. Such a wonderful organization! Have you ever been to one of their meetings? Such shining faces of excitement and happiness among the students there!
Lucia

Community

Hi Small Science Woman,
I agree. But teaching and mentoring are just not as high in prestige as making scientific discoveries. I am glad that Obama is recognizing the importance of what these people do. I have a whole list of such people (many of whom I wrote about when I was on the editorial board at CBE-LSE) who deserve so much credit for helping to produce the next generations of scientists. I am kind of surprised not to see Sally Ride on the list.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
I think it's interesting that fewer of us know the mentors than even those who know women scientists, at least that's how it looks to me based on the current poll results. I'm glad Obama is trying to bring some notice and attention to these people who do such important work!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback