Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 12, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Former Student with Passion for Teaching Science

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

I am so proud of Kareen Wilkenson, a Pomona graduate from a few years back who once worked on yeast aging in my laboratory, who just completed Harvard Teacher Education Program and won a prestigious Intellectual Contribution/Faculty Tribute Award. Kareen was already an experienced junior high school science teacher when she arrived at Harvard, and here's what she said about her students,"They were the ones that inspired me to commit to education in the first place, so I will always keep them as inspiration in everything I do." She will return to the classroom in Boston this fall.

She rose to the challenging curriculum, taking it along with students who were from different programs and backgrounds. Commenting on what she'd like to tell new students arriving at Harvard to follow in her footsteps, Kareen said, "Get over the shock and intimidation of Harvard by challenging yourself to speak within the first two days of your summer classes. Challenge your perspective! A quote I have kept close over the year is this: "The only way to change someone's perspective is to give them a new one." So be aware of when that new perspective, although it may be uncomfortable at first, is your ticket to seeing the world in a whole new way."

Kareen wants to make science respectful of the cultures each student comes from, saying, "I'm really committed to teaching science in a way that shows students that their culture and ancestral peoples have contributed to what we consider science today." She is also very much in favor of having close-knit groups and making science a team effort with lots of hands-on activities. I remember how much fun she was as a team member in my lab, how supportive of the other students at our lunchtime research-in-progress meetings, how open about her concern that she might never get to have international experience. I was thrilled for her later when she succeeded in getting to Costa Rica for an ecology semester on Study Abroad, during first semester of her senior year.

Kareen talks about creating student teams to investigate science questions this way, "I will try to make science a bonding experience so that you feel like you are on a team with a focus and mission of discovery, but through the process learn about yourself and each other." I love that, because yes, students respond to owning a piece of science, discovering what no one else knows. But sharing that with others makes it even more precious.

I'm excited to hear about what her classes are going to do once she returns to her students. I know it will be stimulating and attractive. Go, Kareen!

Friends, let me know what you found inspiring about her story, and tell me about others you know who have gone into science teaching.

cheers,

Laura

Comments
6  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Kareen sounds wonderful. I love to think there are dedicated, scientifically trained teachers like her out there in the schools, even though I know there are a lot of teachers who don't like science and don't bother to hide it from their students. One excited teacher is like a catalyst. Her students catch fire, year after year. They can involve others in some of their activities around science too. Kudos to her and my good wishes perch on her shoulder for ever!

Community

I so hated junior high school that I admire anyone who would choose to work with that age of students. It sounds like she has a real knack for it, and I wish I could ahve had a teacher like her when I endured jr. high. My teacher "taught to the tests" and I suspect that might be even more true today.

Community

Hi Helen,
I contacted Kareen and she said she'd try to respond to your comment, but she's moving and getting resettled and I'm afraid she may not get around to it. I wish you the best of luck with your trip, and I'm so glad to hear these efforts are occurring.
best,
Laura

Community

Thank you, Kareen and Laura - I'm bringing books to some small schools in Elmina, Ghana, in August, including simple science books up through junior high reading level. They're for the little non-profit, tstars.org, and I would love to be able to bring science respectful to their culture. Bookwise, I'm just trying to avoid books with too many pink and white children. I'd welcome any words of wisdom you have.

Community

I like the sound of crediting cultures with contributions to science, but I'm not aware of specific examples of that myself. It's an interesting idea; I know women don't get much credit for their scientific discoveries and probably people of minority groups don't either.

Community

I liked best her willingness to challenge herself at Harvard. I've sent students there and had them really struggle with self-esteem because it's HARVARD!

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback