« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: May 30, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

What did you aspire to be as a child?

Aa Aa Aa

One of my friends wrote about her childhood dreams recently and said she had wanted to be a cowboy (NOT a cowgirl).  She is now an engineer.  I'm curious about what women in science dreamed they'd become.  A chemist?  An astronaut?  I'm not sure what a biologist looks like so I wonder if "biologist" has been a target for kids' dreams.  A vet (all things bright and beautiful?) makes sense, or maybe a forensic pathologist or a lab tech from "Law and Order"?  

I have to apologize because unlike my friend Rossana, I dreamed of being a fashion designer. One of the thrills of my early life was getting my design published in Katy Keene Magazine.  They probably published it because I sent in so many drawings. It surely wasn't because I am good at drawing. But, during all the time I dreamed of fashion design, I was trying to breed a green gladiolus out in the back yard, having moved many miles away from the site of my mica mine...Hmm!  Eventually, with a push from Sputnik, I ended up in science.  

Were you women in science tomboys as kids?  Did you dream of science careers, or arrive in science some other way? 

Comments
11  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Dear Gemma,
Hearts and livers from the supermarket, huh? I'm impressed! And biochemistry is a great field; I believe interfaces between fields have been idea generators as long as I've been in science and they're not about to stop.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Variable! Initially I thought the general pleasure that came with organising paper work would make being a secretary the perfect job (!), however my Mum's voice echoed in my mind: "Why aspire to be the secretary, why not the boss?!". I soon realised that I was in love with biology, especially when I started spending my pocket money on hearts and kidneys from the supermarket so that I could dissect them and deliver presentations to my Mum about my findings! For a long time I thought I would become a pathologist, however when I discovered that I needed to become a doctor first, this direction had to change (too squeamish, of all things!). I'm currently at the stage of writing up my PhD thesis (biochemistry) so I'll be carrying on in research, which turns out to be the perfect career for my inexhaustibly curious mind!

Community

I wanted to be an archeologist and paleontologist from 1st grade on. Couldn't decide which I liked better. In 4th grade I wrote and illustrated an anatomy book and then I was told girls don't do science by many teachers and went into acting, love the theatre and drama (now finding it is helping me in teaching) I was pushed pretty hard away from mathematics and so forth. But came to my senses and went back to science now I am on my way to finishing my doctorate in chemistry and have honestly never been happier.

Community

I wanted to teach, but I thought of grammar school for a long time. My group of chosen students got older as I got older (I guess I dreamed of teaching myself!)
Now I teach mostly, but do some research with students or on sabbaticals.

Community

An architect. Then an artist. Then Biology blew me away.

Community

I want to say, recentgrad, that wanting to be a mom is great! I believe in balance, however hard it might be at times, and having close relationships is a big part of that. So good for you for wanting that early on. I wish more students had female science teachers in high school. I did too, for both bio and chem, and it mattered. As for college counselors, may their tribe increase. At many schools, they are being cut to almost none in these times of budget shortfalls.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I was all over the map! I remember in 4th grade saying I wanted to be a mom (where was my personal drive?!), then at one point an interior decorator, then a lawyer (working at a law office changed that!). It actually wasn't until my high school chemistry (Mr. Webb) and AP Biology teacher (Mr. Hemeon) that I took an interest in science. I was also strongly encouraged in science by my college advisor (a strong woman in science!) which kept my interest stronger than it may have been without her enthusiasm.

Community

LOL Helen, did you see what Carol Greider was doing when she heard about her Nobel in my post about her dyslexia? I hate laundry too, but not as much as washing dishes! My husband and I compromised; he loads the dishwasher and usually I unload it.
cheers,
Laura

Community

It changed over time. Doctor was the constant one until college when like FBP I worked in a research lab and was hooked. But I still wanted to be (in order) doctor, fireman/EMT ala Emergency the TV series, ballerina, doctor. I was a total Tomboy but did play with my Barbies. In my young world Barbie was a CEO, and Ken stayed at home with Skipper and did the laundry...I don't like laundry.

Community

As they say,beautiful girls are born with beautiful brains! so girl God has a purpose 4 every thing so be happy for what u r doing and prove that u could do better than this if u were a doc as well....................

Community

I wanted to be a doctor, but then in college I changed my mind when I had a chance to try research. My wimpy brother had no interest in medicine, blood made him faint. I think my Dad would have preferred him to be the science nerd, though. FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback