Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: November 13, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Get Ready for Year End

Aa Aa Aa
Hi Friends of Women in Science,

I know end of the year/ start of the next year is a time a lot of people think of resolutions. But for me, it's a time of weighing up, a time of reassessing what the year has been like. Have women really progressed in STEM fields? Have there been notable books or TED shows on us? Have we made our voices heard through AAUW, AWIS, and other organizations? Have lawsuits gone well for us? Have people who collect data on women in industry and women in academia seen that there are more of us? Are we paid well and valued? Do we feel we made the right decision to go into STEM? I have started mulling all that over early this year partly because of the weather.
I'm interested in what you think. I'll include a poll for you to tell me your overall impression, but I hope you'll comment on what made this year notable for you re women in STEM fields. I'll probably do update posts a couple more times as we near the transition to 2012.
cheers,
Laura
Comments
5  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Dear Laura,

It's been a terrible year here. We changed Provosts and the new one has no patience with women and our issues, basically tells us to stop whining when we ask for things. I hope things improve elsewhere to balance it all out.
MR

Community

Hi Laura,
We had a search to replace a woman who left and hired a white man, ugh. Actually he is very good, but I feel terrible that we didn't get a woman.
KRP

Community

Hi Patsy,
I think it's great that your place got day care. I wish it were more inclusive, but keep asking for more access. A constant noise is more likely to get response than a request, a no, then silence. I speak from experience! Be that squeaky wheel. Every university and company should be making it possible for women to choose both career and family, and only pressure will make them see that.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Here we did get day care this year, but my grad students and postdocs can't get places for their kids. I guess on balance that's an OK? Not sure. PN

Community

Hi Laura,
I wish I could choose "great" but it's just been OK for us women here. No big gains or losses. If we get the new day care center we're pushing for, that'll get 2012 off to a good start, though. Suz

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback