Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: February 14, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

NSF Career-Life Balance Initiative

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

The AWIS Washington Wire recently highlighted NSF's effort to be more friendly to family concerns of its principal investigators. PIs can request supplemental funding to support additional personnel to keep a grant project running smoothly during a parental leave.

For Principal Investigators supported by the prestigious Career Awards, AWIS notes that "In FY 2012, up to 3 months of salary support may be requested (for a maximum of $12,000 in salary compensation) by CAREER awardees."

We've discussed how best to support young mothers who are productive scientists many times. Do you think these programs are a good solution or a good first step?

cheers,

Laura

Comments
3  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Wow math postdoc, You have pointed out a real problem with current policy. Those readers with NSF connections, ask about this policy. It doesn't fit with the biological clocks of women, that's for sure.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I would like to point out that the NSF policy for postdoc "fellowships" is different from that for "grants". For example, there are now no-cost extensions to NSF grants for faculty PI's who take parental leave, but this is not the case for NSF postdoctoral fellowships, which expire regardless of whether parental leave was taken or not. There is an "absolutely no exceptions" policy to the expiration date. This should be changed, since the postdoc years can land right when people have children. I was affected by this policy and lost $30,000 of funding as a result.

Community

Hi Laura,

It's great to see the NSF trying to help young women with children and this is one good way. Nothing will solve the whole problem alone, right? I think they deserve kudos for this one.

LM

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback