Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: March 16, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Favorite Science Writers?

Aa Aa Aa

Hi Friends of Women in Science,

I have been invited to speak at Occidental College, the college in Los Angeles where I taught biology from 1973-1993, about science writing, because of my memoir, Breaking Through the Spiral Ceiling.

Of course, I have my favorite science writers. But it occurred to me, it would be interesting to hear if you have favorite science writers, who they are, and why you like them. So, please comment below if you do, and just take the poll and say no, if you don't. I think it will be interesting either way! If you're like me, you want them to be accurate first, not to get mixed up on science concepts, but then to go beyond and think of cool ways to explain it to non-scientists.

And in the comments, I'll reveal some of my own favorites and say why, but I don't want to push you towards just the ones I like, so I don't want to put them in the posting. Please share!

cheers,

Laura

Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi prof Hoopes,

Did you see that the city of Claremont is having Skoot's book on HeLa cells as their book of the year, the one with all the lawn signs that everyone reads and discusses? Thought you would be interested.

Community

Hi Laura,
How about that guy Stephen Hall who wrote about the folks we know at City of Hope who raced to clone insulin?
Also, of course, the incomparable Rebecca Skloot!

Carole

Community

Hi Belinda and Linda,
You've picked out some that are on my list of favorites too. Nice to hear you enjoy their writing!
Laura

Community

Geez, Margot!
Tierney does that, yes. That doesn't really put him on my list of favorites, though. I can't go there with you. Like I would keep an eye on a rattlesnake, but not feel it's one of my favorite animals.
LOL, though, I like having someone suggest someone who's not going to be a slam dunk for me. And I may talk about him at Oxy; if he makes us all talk about him, that's a good thing for The NYT.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,

I like John Tierney because I can depend on him to make my blood boil regularly by saying something about women in science that I can't agree with. And he covers other interesting things too, but I really read him to keep an eye on his shenanigans about women in science. Don't you?
best,
MEZ

Community

Hi Laura,

My favorite is someone we had for an online UCLA course once, Gordon Grice. He wrote two books on dangerous animals, and he shows both the danger and the biological beauty of each type of animal. His writing is a bit more minimalist than, say, Angier's, but he can turn a great metaphor at times too.

cheers,
Linda

Community

Hello Laura,

I like most of the people who write for the Tuesday science section of NYT, but especially I like Nick Wade and Natalie Angier. They know how to simplify things without losing their essence, and they write well.

Belinda

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback