Women in Science
Other Topics
« Prev Next »
Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: April 20, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Pregnant and Powerful--Is that Possible?

Aa Aa Aa

Dear friends of women in science,

Alan Cohen let me know about a posting from a Venture Capitalist called Paige Craig, a man concerned about how few women entrepreneurs he sees. He invested in a company then agonized over whether one of the two leaders could carry on her job now that she was pregnant. Turns out she was going to have twins. She was a co-founder and co-CEO of ProFounder, a crowd-sourced funding agency in Los Angeles that helps local businesses get funding from their community.

He was open and honest about his feelings and worries, and the posting also includes a response from Jessica (the pregnant CEO in question).He phrased his worries this way, "I'm thinking how in the hell is this founder going to lead a team, build a company and change the world for these businesses carrying a kid around for the next few months and then caring for the kids after. I can't say I personally know anything about it but birthing & raising kids seems like the toughest job around. And now I have a founder who has to be a CEO and a mother."

I am going to quote a bit of her answer, but if these issues matter to you, I'd encourage you to read the whole question and response here. Jessica said, among other things, "I've never heard someone ask the same of a Founder/CEO/Dad, worrying about a slightly different dirty little thought: "An expectant father / CEO will fail his company." The idea that mothers are the de facto "foundation parents" to a new baby (or two) perpetuates the stereotypes and structures that make it more difficult for anyone, male or female, to balance work and family in the first place." After making several other points, she also said, "I enjoy my conversations with Paige and if we'd had more time to talk live before this blog post, I'd have simply responded in answer to the "how the hell [will she make it work]..." question. I would have said that I have an incredible cofounder and an amazing, talented team. They believe in my leadership, my ability to serve them and our vision - with or without kids. I would have talked about my strong support system, including a husband who is a true partner and my greatest champion. I would have mentioned that I am fortunate enough to be able to afford full-time help if/when we need it. And I would have told him that, like most professional women in my situation, I have been thinking about this season of my life for a very long time."

I love this answer. She has NOT left the table before she had to go ( referring to the video posted earlier from Sheryl Sandberg). And she has thought through, as much as anyone can before actual childbirth, what her options will be once the children are on the scene. I am sure she will have moments of guilt and pain, times when it's hard to balance the career and family issues. Murphy's Law suggests things will go wrong in both arenas at once and demand urgent attention from Jessica. But I believe she's up to the job. She will find joy in her family and it will not demand she quit work, the say way her co-CEO will not demand that she never attend to her family's needs. It won't be easy, but it will be possible, that's my prediction.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Laura

Comments
6  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I think it's wonderful that he posted his thoughts and asked her for a response. It's not like that thought isn't going to pop into someone's head. It popped into my own head regarding myself and my own productivity when the time came for me to become a parent. Would I really be as good as I was before?

It's time to stop thinking that men and women are the same when it comes to child-rearing and have a discussion about what to do about it. She had a great answer and had obviously planned for what she could.

I've seen amazing women decide to change course in their careers or drop them altogether for their kids. And some women I thought for sure would drop out turned into dynamos in the workplace. You can't predict what someone will do based on past performance. You have to ask them what they are thinking and what their plan is. That alone is quite revealing.

And in this specific case as an investor, I would have had some serious doubts just as he did. The only thing that would have re-assured me was the strength of the team and a good succession plan in case she didn't return to 100% of her ability. And that seemed to convince him as well as he did decide to invest again in the company.

Community

Considering only the legal aspect is reductionist.
A respectful discussion to cover several aspects of this important cycle of life is a must.
Unfortunately I have seen difficult adjustment from what suppose to work perfectly. The superb father sometimes discover the challenge and go away.
Associate dean of faculty affairs faces such unexpected issue (sort of collateral damages )

Community

First; I need to say this
Happy Birthday to Rita Levi-Montalcini!
http://news.discovery.com/human/oldest-living-nobel-laureate-turns-102-110422.html#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Second; Paige Craig is a Venture Capitalist. He is under no obligation to invest in you at all. He is betting his money, often a significant amount of his money, on your success. This isn't a loan. This is a purchase of an interest in your venture that only pays off if you succeed.

I have to admit, if it was my investment I wouldn't be sleeping much.

Community

Is there data somewhere about how many women step down from positions once having children?

We did have a gal step down from a high position here at U of I. It did not mention her recent childbirth, but I knew of it because I'm on a committee with her husband. I thought it was a shame that she did but perhaps she didn't really enjoy it in the first place, and childbirth gave her a perspective she didn't have previously.

That being said. I remained working after all four of my children because I loved my position, as low paying as it was (passionate educators do that!).

Oddly, I did start my position and have to turn around and tell the department head I would be taking time off after the birth of my first child and he looked petrified, like I was going to leave because of that! Then he composed himself and congratulated me. Thank goodness for the laws.

Community

Just posting the link to Paige Craig's blog.

Laura's didn't work for me.

http://www.businessinsider.com/women-founders-2011-4

Community

Geez, how many times will we have to fight to get men to stop making these illegal judgements that we plan to quit as soon as we get pregnant? It's illegal, so stop already.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback