Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: July 16, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Loss of women from Computer Science

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,
As you may recall, earlier we discussed the Barbie dressed as a computer engineer.  Today, I ran into some new information about how women are faring in Computer Science and the news is bad. Marsha Walton wrote "IT Jobs Offer Growth, But Women Are Bailing Out," Thursday, June 24 on WeNews. 

After telling a sad anecdote about a woman computer scientist who was treated as a secretary rather than a boss, she refers to a study by the National Center for Women and Information Technology.  According to this study, she tells us that "women are leaving computer careers in staggering numbers. 'Fifty-six percent of women in technology companies leave their organizations at the mid-level point, 10-20 years in their careers,' said Catherine Ashcraft, the senior research scientist who authored the report.  In 2008, women held only 25 percent of all professional IT-related jobs, down from 36 percent in 1991, according to the group's report, 'Women in IT: The Facts.'"  Some of the reasons for their departure are 1) being paid less than comparable men, 2) subtle hostilities like the anecdote she had given, and 3) "backhanded compliments like: 'Great job! You are living proof that women really do have technical minds!'"  Other problems include penalties for accessing flex time and being given the "glass cliff" assignment that no reasonable man would accept, one that almost guarantees the woman's failure. 

Walton argues that mentoring can be an important way to address these issues, and that more women higher up in an organization can help. She also describes Sarah Schacht, founder of Knowledge As Power, a female boss who makes sure these issues are addressed. She leads a company in Seattle that helps "individuals track legislation and communicate with lawmakers."  She has recruited  women from industry and she says, "I realize 'life happens.' I don't care where your work is getting done, I care that deadlines are met." 

What do you think?

a.  Where I am, women in computer sciences seem to be getting along fine.

b.  I've seen problems in Computer Science for women.

c. I don't think women in this field have worse situations presented, there are just fewer of them so they get that anxiety response easier.

Comments
10  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I'm happy to say a wonderful woman in CS here was just promoted and tenured. Sometimes a few things work out well.
cheers,
Laura

Community

I don't think Female Science Professor is in Computer Science. She talks about physical science, right? That might have some features in common, but it's not exactly the same. Some physical science fields have been improving for women (chemistry for ex) while CS has been regressing, losing market share if you want to think about it that way, moving to fewer women graduated and fewer in the field compared to 10-20 years ago.

Community

Hi Female Biology Professor,
Yes, someone sent that to me. I will post about it next week. I definitely recommend Female Science Professor's blog and also the book from her blog posts, called Academeology (available through Lulu).
cheers,
Laura

Community

Did any of you see the Female Science Professor's article in Chronicle of Higher Education this summer? She talks about how even though she's a full prof of physical sciences, she still gets these putdowns. People attribute her work to her husband. They say she couldn't have done this work, it's really good. It's terrible that women still have to put up with these remarks. FBP

Community

I have seen lists of the top 100 employers for women, in terms of equal treatment and equal pay, and I suspect that such a list specifically for Computer Scientists would be a great idea. I wonder if one exists out there? Anyone know?
cheers,
LauraXEXFX

Community

I get comments like that one about how the guy was so surprised to find she was smart enough ALL THE TIME! What's wrong with men? Don't they realize how it feels to be a sort of freak?

Community

I don't want to keep working in a place where people don't want to be friendly to me. I feel like men are critical of women in CS, way beyond evaluation of ability. It makes me want to leave the field. Or to go to one of those labs where a design team, people who started in art school, work with the CS types to make more humanized computing projects.

Community

Dear Small Science Woman,
I hope your good woman in CS can hang in there and be a role model for the students. Do women in science, math, CS at your place ever get together across fields? I think that could help her feel more comfortable.
cheers,
Laura

Community

B or maybe C. We have one great woman in the CS field and all the others are older white males. I hope she stays, but if she hears these things I wouldn't be surprised if she leaves. Once she told me industry is nicer to women, but it sounds like that's not necessarily so (per the Novartis thing you posted last week.)

Community

B. I haven't seen any women hired in this field so they can undergo attrition. I wonder where those supposed to enforce workplace fairness are when these women encounter things like what the article quotes. I don't think we women ought to take this kind of bad behavior without reporting it. The end result is we leave the field, yuck! FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback