Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: October 2, 2010
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Coming Attraction

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends,

Soon I will start having guest bloggers approximately once a week for a while. The other days, I will continue the series of postings similar to those you've seen. I hope to get some new topics, maybe some of your favorites, into the mix by hearing other voices.  Use the comments to let me know of topics you would like to see us discuss. If the guests don't choose them, I will get to them later.

best,

Laura Hoopes 

Comments
11  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Hi friends,
Lots of good ideas. I'm working on them. In some cases, I can find something good. In other cases, I hope to get a guest blogger's comments for you. Either way, it's stimulating to read the suggestions.
best,
Laura

Community

How about getting more info about/from women in research only sites (national labs, research institutes, industry R&D sites, etc) because a lot of us don't really plan to teach unless there's no other choice available. I am not sure, but most of my postdoc friends have a definite "no" under teaching.

Community

I like the idea from Phoebe Lostroh to get info from/about NSF Program Officers. I think they might be "rotators" who go to NSF for a while and then return to their home institutions, but I'm not sure. I'd like to know whether they find it interesting to be in a position to influence the whole direction of research in their field via their funding choices (I know, some choices are mandated by the review panels, but others are more discretionary I think).

Community

How about women from third world countries in general, how are they doing in science?

Community

I'm glad to see all these good ideas. I'm working on them, hope to have some great guests soon. Phoebe and thinking about alternatives, I know a woman in science policy at AAAS and hope she'll have time to guest blog for us in November, but she is crazy busy. Think good thoughts...
Laura

Community

Hi, Laura,

Thanks for all the work you do for this community.

What about something about women and environmental science and/or climate science?

Women and field sciences -- women "in the field" (geology, population biology...)

Non-Western women scientists...what's up with all those women Malaysian computer scientists, for example?

Or, interesting opportunities for all scientists -- what's it like to work at NSF as a program officer, to do a AAAS policy stint, to work in administration as a Dean or Department Chair, to make a radical shift to a totally new research program, to do research on science education.... etc.?

Community

Hello Laura,
Why not look at what societies can do to help women? I think ASCB and some others do a good job of helping women network and talk.

Community

If there are women readers who have moved out of science, maybe into policy, could you say something about how you like it?

Community

I'd be glad to see some advice for women postdocs today on career possibilities.

Community

Hi Laura,
I would like to know more about how women chemists have done in industry.

Community

I'd like to see something on addressing the male-female salary difference for high ranking professors.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback