Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: December 2, 2014
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Environmental Hazards for Women

Aa Aa Aa

Hi friends of women in science,

Some time ago, Lisa Feldkamp with Nature Conservancy brought to my attention some online consderation of the treatment of women who undertake conservation work. There had been, in September, a letter in Nature cosigned by over three hundred women and authored originally by Heather Tallis and Jane Lubchenko, raising the issue of the role of women in conservation. They pointed to a vitriolic online "conversation" about conservation planning that had been dominated by a few male voices. They pointed out that although women once were underrepresented in environmental-science faculty positions and in conservation practice, "In the United States, more than half the leadership positions in conservation organizations are now held by women." This new situation makes the low participation of women's voices in important debates a big concern. The signatories say, "Together, we propose a unified and diverse conservation ethic; one that recognizes and accepts all values of nature, from intrinsic to instrumental, and welcomes all philosophies justifying nature protection and restoration, from ethical to economic, and from aesthetic to utilitarian."

Clearly, all the important stakeholders should be part of the decision-making process, not just the loudest and most strident. In addition, then, to some field hazards and concerns for women studying the environment, we must add to the list of concerns being overlooked and ignored. That is unacceptable, it seems to me.

cheers,
Laura

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

The field work problem is an issue, but what is the solution? Which of the following are acceptable? (Assuming the specialty area is one that requires field work.)
* A professor who won't accept women graduate students because his wife doesn't want him doing field work with young women? (We had one of these.)
*A professor who won't accept women graduate students because he doesn't want to expose them to risks in the field?
*A professor who will only accept women graduate students in pairs so he can assign them the same field project (even if their interests are different)? If there are funds for only one student, accepts males only?
*A professor who accepts women only if they are willing to do field work, and leaves it up to the student to arrange for volunteers or helpers?
*A professor who accepts and supports graduate students based on their interests and capabilities, offers field housing, leaves it to the students as to how they will share what housing is available? Some projects may be teams; some solo.

I don't know what is involved in being armed. Wearing a wedding ring, and implying one isn't alone? Solo field work is often dangerous, even with cell phones one is sometimes out of communication range, and males are also at risk.

When I was doing field work in a nature preserve, often at night, I met armed hunters at times (hunting was forbidden in that preserve). I never relaxed. Most of my work is now in the lab.

Community

Hi Patsy,
I can see you're pretty upset about all this. One of my young relatives by marriage actually quit an ecology grad program because of the second issue you bring up. Her advisor had placed her on a mountain site with a lot of foot traffic, and those hikers kept harrassing her. She never felt safe there alone, but that's what she was expected to go through.

The flaming online, I think, is a pretty common thing for women to flee from rather than trying to quell it. I wonder if anyone out there has successfully managed to put out the flames in such an online discussion? If so, how did you do it?

cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura--
Okay, I'm glad so many women are in leadership in this field, but why won't they speak up? It seems to me that they are way too easy to intimidate, even Jane Lubchenko who ran NOAA feels like an online flaming session is unwelcoming. I'm discouraged. I think we're too polite and we need to get feisty.

On another note, too many male mentors in this field dump female researchers in the field unprotected from other (male) environmental biologists and chance passers by, sometimes for months at a time. Think about it: why put your valuable associate in a dangerous position?

Grrr, Patsy

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback