Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: April 11, 2014
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Misconduct in Research at Yale

Aa Aa Aa

Dear Friends of Women in Science,
I read with interest a news article in Science on March 7 about Magdalena Koziol's tribulations at Yale. She began her postdoctoral research there in 2011, working on zebrafish transgenic organisms. Shortly thereafter, she found that all of her fish mysteriously died. So she did a controlled experiment: she labeled some of the animals with MK, her initials, and left the container of others blank. The only ones that died were the ones with her initials. She got permission to set up a video surveillance and the saboteur was caught. He was dismissed by her lab chief, Giraldez, who then tried to impose a ban of silence on Koziol and the others in the lab. Of course, she needed to explain why she had no results, but this ban meant she could not. Giraldez refused to write a letter she could use in applying for jobs, explaining the situation. She has now returned to the Oxford lab of John Gurdon, her previous mentor, and has decided to sue Giraldez and Yale for how they handled the case.

It's interesting that, according to this article, sabotage is not considered research misconduct under the usual rules. Only faking your own data and plagiarism are now considered research misconduct. Other interference falls into a grey area.

Anecdotally, I've heard of a number of such incidents, not with my direct knowledge of them, just grapevine stories. And all of them seemed to involve sabotage of women's experiments by men who were coworkers. If this kind of sabotage is indeed common, as Peter Andrews suggests in his article, I do wonder if there is a gender bias. I also wonder if there is any feasible way to collect data on this phenomenon. The case I heard about while on sabbatical at Caltech seemed to be to have been based on jealousy of a published woman postdoc who joined a lab where some male postdocs had not published in the field. Koziol's case could have been an attempt to slow her research, but the one at Caltech I'm recalling, which I heard about only after the fact, seemed to have a more animus-based motivation.

What do you know about such incidents? Any trends you've noticed if you've encountered similar events in your experieces in science? NB: This and all polls on this site are not scientifically designed and are merely meant to allow quick opinion expression. Comments instead of poll answers are always encouraged.

cheers,
Laura

Comments
7  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,Visa: Website: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Buy high quality Real Passports, Visas, Driver's License ,ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Seaman cards, e.t.c

We are a team of highly experienced and sophisticated IT professionals with many years of experience in producing high quality documents of all categories.

We offer original high quality real and not real passports, driver driving, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, diplomas, e.t.c for almost all countries in the world mostly countries like: US, AustrAalia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway, Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, e.t.c

This list is not complete.

For additional information and to place your order, just contact us by email, skype or phone.

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

Web Site: https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

TOPICS:

BUY REAL AND Not-Real PASSPORTS:

Buy real and Not-Real USA passports
Buy real and Not-Real Australian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Belgian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Brazilian passports
Buy real and Not-Real Canadian passports
Buy real and not real French passports
Buy real and not real New Zealand passports
Buy real and not real German passports
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) passports
Buy real and not real Israeli passports
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) passports
Buy real and not real Spanish passports
Buy real and not real Mexican passports
Buy real and not real South African passports
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) passports
Buy real and not real Chinese passports
Buy real and not real Austrian passports
Buy real and not real Japanese passports
Buy real and not real Ukrainian passports
Buy real and not real Cambodian passports
Buy real and not real Romanian passports
Buy real and not real Polish passports
Buy real and not real Bulgarian passports
Buy real and not real Moroccan passports
Buy real and not real Cyprus passports
Buy real and not real Norwegian passports
Buy real and not real Portuguese passports
Buy real and not real Lithuanian passports
Buy real and not real Russian passports
Buy real and not real Hungarian passports
Buy real and not real Brazilian passports
Buy real and not real Italian passports
Buy real and not real Jamaican passports
Buy real and not real South Korean passport
Buy real and not real Croatian passports
Buy real and not real Danish passports
Buy real and not real Malta passports
Buy real and not real Swedish passports

BUY REAL AND Not Real DRIVING LICENCE

Buy real and not real USA driver's license
Buy real and not real New Zealand driver's license
Buy real and not real German driver's license
Buy real and not real Dutch (Netherlands) driver's license
Buy real and not real Israeli driver's license
Buy real and not real UK (United Kingdom) driver's license
Buy real and not real Spanish driver's license
Buy real and not real Mexican driver's license
Buy real and not real South African driver's license
Buy real and not real Swiss (Switzerland) driver's license
Buy real and not real Chinese driver's license
Buy real and not real Austrian driver's license
Buy real and not real Japanese driver's license
Buy real and not real Ukrainian driver's license
Buy real and not real Cambodian driver's license
Buy real and not real Romanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Polish driver's license
Buy real and not real Bulgarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Moroccan driver's license
Buy real and not real Cyprus driver's license
Buy real and not real Norwegian driver's license
Buy real and not real Portuguese driver's license
Buy real and not real Lithuanian driver's license
Buy real and not real Russian driver's license
Buy real and not real Hungarian driver's license
Buy real and not real Brazilian driver's license
Buy real and not real Italian driver's license
Buy real and not real Jamaican driver's license
Buy real and not real South Korean driver's license
Buy real and not real Croatian driver's license
Buy real and not real Danish driver's license
Buy real and not real Malta driver's license
Buy real and not real Swedish driver's license

email: (genuinedockies201@gmail.com)

whatsapp ....+237670725929

Skype Id: lugert2

https://realfakedocky.wordpress.com/

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or call at any time and in any
discretion.

Community

Hi!

I am currently taking a summer class at NC State University called Women and Gender in Science and Technology, and we have a final project due in just a few days. For our project we created a website to show how women have vitally contributed to science and tried to explain why it is so important for women to pursue careers in STEM fields. The main goal of our site however is for our visitors to take a survey to see how much people’s opinion on the subject changes after they become aware and educated about how important women are to Science.
It would really help me and my group if you could go on our site and look around a little bit and then take our survey!! As an incentive to take our survey, upon completion, if you email me at promotingchangesurvey@gmail.com with the subject line Netflix, I will email you back with a code for a free Netflix one-night rental! Here is our website: promotingchangeinscience.weebly.com

Thanks so much for helping!

Community

This happened to me when I was doing my PhD (chemistry) at a prestigious UK university in the 1980s. Experiments kept going wrong as soon as I turned my back. I was ridiculed and humiliated, and even accused of sabotaging my own work. Circumstantial evidence all pointed to one individual, but nothing was done to try and catch him. My supervisor didn't want to know and even accused me of causing him trouble. The experience drove me to despair and the brink of nervous breakdown, nearly cost me my PhD, and haunts me still. It particularly irks me that the culprit got away with it. Years later I came across the Hare psychopathy checklist. I was disturbed, but not surprised, to find that he ticked more than half the boxes.

Community

I have a suggestion to all those women who are willing to be an academician in any US university. Please PLease Please do not join your PhD in any US university. There is a 99.9% chance that you ll not receive any fair support from your advisor or colleagues that any american student can easily expect to get. You ll be discouraged to do anything related to your work so as to hinder your any progress in the field. Psychologically, you can expect an inhumanely pressure for five consecutive years so as to encourage their own people and its more likely to happen if your peer is a white male and your boss is a white male.Gender bias issue is much more common in any US university and both white male and female bosses mostly prefer to work with white males only. Its better that you learn your work from any other institution in Europe or UK and then you ll be more competitive to join in any US institution.

Community

This is common in American universities and mostly, it is likely to happen against any international person irrespective of the gender. I am neither surprised to see what this lady had to go through nor I am surprised how her boss handled it. I have seen the US citizen students are unable to accept any good competitor as their colleague, especially if he or she is bringing good results. This internal weakness to compete in a sports spirits results in sabotage and it is much more easier to do in the science labs where there is no surveillance, and no lab manager. Professors are only interested in good results and money saving students are their favorites.

I have seen people sabotage molecular work where it takes atleast four days to prepare the samples before they are despatched. This kind of planning ultimately leads to much smaller progress for the internationals and all the scenario almost pushes anyone's career on the brink of collapse. It is common in ecology/ biology because there is a lack of diversity. The prevalent gender bias in sciences (see PNAS publication on that) makes it even more difficult for any international woman in sciences.
Overall education system and policies do not support women in sciences or internationals in sciences.

Community

I've heard about it from colleagues in at least three cases, but although appalling, I don't think it is that frequent. If I look at the proportion of individuals I know, it's less than 5% of the individuals reporting that type of behavior. In all 3 of those cases, there was competition as a motivation. They were all working in "hot" fields and the postdocs were competing against one another in the lab as well as between labs.
I was also surprised that this didn't come under misconduct rules. And the behavior of the lab head is unacceptable. He has to take responsibility for the conduct of those in his lab, and work to correct the culture that allows such behavior to thrive. The fact that his institution does not hold him accountable, much in the way he would be accountable for scientific misconduct or safety violations with his staff, certainly does not help.

Community

Oh no, this reminds me of the premed/premed ruining of experiments in introductory biology labs. How juvenile! I never ran into that sort of thing in my research training and don't know if it might focus more on women as victims. It could, of course. It would be hard to collect data, I guess, if Yale wants to keep it quiet probably all schools would.
SSW

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback