Science in Africa
Other Topics
« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: April 8, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Which is healthier a Chocolate Egg or a Chicken Egg?

Aa Aa Aa

I never get tired of speaking about Easter .... I love everything about Easter...I love the colored eggs...I love the bunnies...I love the chocolate...and most of all.... I love the spirit !!!

So, how do eat your Easter Bunny; ears first or feet first!?!

What a dilemma!!!

This reminds me of the age-old question, which came first chicken or egg !!?!!!

Another question also runs through my mind now, why chicken eggs and not any other birds' eggs?

Really why chickens' eggs !?!

Last year I spoke about the origin of Easter and the three main symbols in Egypt, this year however, I would like to speak about some health issues related to Easter !?!

So, which type of eggs carries more health risks chickens' eggs or chocolate eggs?

Not so long ago, Easter was celebrated by eggs, and I mean actual eggs, however, nowadays it is celebrated like all other feasts by chocolate. I guess it is the smart marketing strategies of all chocolate companies. On one hand, the chocolate bunnies and eggs look very attractive and on the other side, for children it doesn't really matter, whether it is Easter or not they would very much like having more and more chocolate. Furthermore, when we eat chickens' eggs, we get hunted by the "High Cholesterol" ghosts, even if we eat just one egg!!!

Then I though... what about "CHOCOLATE" eggs?

Chocolate eggs carry a lot of calories too...right ?

I did some research and I found this amazing website, that gives you all sort of information about all types of foods. This website contains excel documents that contains all possible information you need to know about your dietary habits. From these enormous data I choose some information about eggs and chocolate and I compared them (see the tables).

Table (1) contains some egg forms and table (2) shows some chocolate forms. These two tables compare the amount of fat, carbohydrates, dietary fiber content and other components together. By comparing the two tables, you will find that eggs contain more omega 3 which has a beneficial role against cancer and some neurological and cardiovascular disorders, also eggs contain more vitamins and less total carbohydrates, and fat than chocolate.

However, if the last column wasn't there,we would have concluded that eggs win this health competition by far. But, this cholesterol ghost is really there. Whether it is boiled eggs, raw eggs or omelette the cholesterol level is still very high. On the other hand, if it wasn't for this high fat, energy and caffeine content in chocolate, chocolate would have been a recommended diet for everyone; because chocolate elevate the mood by increasring the serotonin level. Serotonin is the hormone responsible for elation and happiness, consequently chocolate is a strong and powerful medicine against depression.

So I guess both have health benefits and risks. But if we going to eat more than one today it is better to be chocolate eggs....I guess in this competition chocolate wins ...sorry chicken eggs better luck next time.

Happy Easter everybody !!!

Image Credit: by L.Kenzel via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

You are absolutely right, there were a lot of offers for everything, the most important thing that you enjoyed it .....thanks Radwa

Community

NIce topic Doaa, for me, I haven't had neither chicken nor chocolate eggs :P
the easter here was full of other offers on other food items that you can't recist XD

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback