« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: July 1, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Science Capsule

Aa Aa Aa

One of my mother's words that are still ringing in my ears is "Knowing people is the real treasure". And she is right. Every time I meet a new person, I see life from a different perspective. Everyone has a different logic and thus reaches a different solution to any problem. So if you have many friends, you have many ways to solve your problems.... and definitely you are rich.

That is why applying this concept to science is of utmost importance. Bringing a new brain to the team will most definitely boost their work, rekindle their determination and open up new venues to their goal. Of course, this system has been in action in many parts of the world -including many African research centers and universities- through thoroughly choosing new research teams and members. But the trick is do we use this method in a right way?

You just appoint new PhDs or Masters every now and then...right?

Yes and No...!?!?!

I mean, yes this is one way to approach this, but to choose correctly is the key to this method's success. A lot of the research centers announcing the need for new researchers are not really opening their arms to everyone. Reading the announcements, you will find criteria that will only apply to certain countries or even certain institutions. If I will be thinking from their point of view, then, I can say they trust the selection and educational criteria of these institutions and that will guarantee reaching a good scientist. However, this will guarantee another thing too; you will get the same type of thinking and the same brain over and over and over. Thus, I think that every once in a while you should risk those criteria when you meet a promising brain. Don't let the CVs and certificates be your only contact with your applicants. Make time to meet them, may be you will find "the diamond in the rough"....and that will be a great gain to your team.

International collaborations in Africa is greatly embraced in some places and completely alienated in others. Renewal of blood is a sure method to success. That is why I hope that this concept will be more and more accepted. Also all African scientists who are incorporated in international teams should be campaigning for these collaborations. These scientists can act as bridges between Africa and the rest of the world and I am not speaking about coming for a few days in conference or a workshop....NO....I mean real collaborations and real international teams.

If science is the capsule that will take us to the future, then we all should have a chance at steering the wheel. And we should learn how to deal with different brains and scopes in this capsule so it can take us to a future that we all love and dream of.

Image credit by Fir0002 (NASA) via Wikimedia Commons

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback