« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: June 22, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Trained or Talented !!!

Aa Aa Aa

I will present you today with a very important question; do I start singing now or shouldn't I?

Can I start training now and begin my singing career next year or do I lack the talent, what do you think?

Simply, it is the matter of inborn talent or acquired training and which one has the upper hand. Is it our genes that direct our lives or is it the environmental influence; can I really lack the talent and train myself to be a good singer; is it nature or nurture ?

Let's think together !!!

First, elephants, there are three species of elephants living now; African bush elephant, African forest elephant and the Asian elephant. The African bush elephant is the largest living terrestrial animal; its length may reach up to 7 meters, its height may reach 4 meter and its weight may reach 9 kg. It lives in the same environment as the African forest elephant and it is a herbivores animal just like the other two species, so why does it reach this amazing size and the other two doesn't?......I guess it's the genes, I guess it is nature !!!

Wait a minute...do you know the African green singing finch?

The scientific name is Serinus Mozambicus. The green singer is not a green bird; it is yellow with grayish black stripes. The green singer sings beautifully and its tone resembles that of the canary but it is different. Is this song typed on its genes or is it taught to him by the other green singers around it? Some studies proved that if a bird was withdrawn at birth and was breed in captivity away from any other members of its species or with other species, it will develop a slightly different tone ....so it is nurture !!!

If the first example is true -even if I trained myself forever- I will never be a good singer if I didn't have the inborn talent. But if the second example is true, I can win my first platinum record in a year or two!!!

However, in my opinion, it is nurture...it is a matter of our "well"; if we want to make something happen....we will. If we believe in ourselves, there is nothing impossible...in the ancient times people dreamt of flying and now we can. Also, just couple of decades back there were no internet, no cell phones, no Blue Ray. Many of today's realities were only dreams until someone was brave enough to go through with it. All great inventions and discoveries started as crazy ideas, and then they became a reality. So, if you got a crazy idea, don't brush it off, instead try to make it a reality...why not.... may be you will be our next African Nobel prize winner in your discipline.

Don't wait until you watch others take your chances. Don't waste your life underestimating yourself; if you got an idea, then you can definitely do it. There is also no fun in cautious, calculated and uneventful life. So, have fun...try and fail...you will win at the end.

Now about me singing....don't worry; I might be a good singer after a year's training...who knows?

So, If I want to sing then I WILL...... even if all human beings applied for Martian green cards....I will make all my dreams come true....I will seize every opportunity I get in my life.... I will never quit .... I will never listen to any negative or pessimistic person in my life...I promise myself that...I will do it.

How about you....will you pursue your dreams too?

Image credit by Csicsörke via Wikimedia commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

of course Marwa if you are talented in a certain field...you will benefit more if you keep polishing it...

However, I don't want you to narrow your scope to these fields ....may be you can discover yourself in something new...and this "NEW YOU" will give you the drive to excel in this new field , simply beacuse you love it and are willing to spend more time training and trying....so I suggest to try new grounds every now and then...

However if just polishing your own skills is working for you so far.....and you are happy about your life....go ahead...polish your skills continously and be happy ;)))

Community

I think that you should have the talent then it can be polished by training .. & of course everyone is talented in a particular field .. it is about discovring your talents & gifts then trying to upgrade them ..... but to start training in a field where your talent is zero!!! that's a waste of time because you will push yourself to hard & finally you will never be good enough ..

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback