« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: June 20, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Deforestation… Reforestation

Aa Aa Aa

Can anyone argue that nature has its own balance !!!

May be you will agree or may be not.

But I guess, when we speak about the deforestation problem, everybody can understand. Forests represent only 7% of the earth's surface and we have been cutting them down on a regular basis. Forests have many benefits:

1. Oxygen production through the process of photosynthesis.
  2. Consumes carbon dioxide in photosynthesis, thus decreasing the pollution problem and accordingly decreasing the temperature of earth.
  3. Also decreases the particulate matter pollution through Leaf-filtering.
  4. Contains many wild herbs that are used for medicinal purposes.
  5. Is the habitat of many animals, birds, insects and organisms.
  6. Last but not least, it provides an unbelievable sense of peace, optimism and warmth for all human beings.

So, in other words forests have been serving us in a lot of ways, while we cut them down all the time !!!

Thus if you think about it, cutting down the trees will only lead to a more polluted environment with many species of animals, birds and organisms endangered.

We all know that forests are very important....No one can argue that !!!

BUT...WE NEED THE WOOD !!!

7. Forests provide wood that is used in building, in furniture, heating....etc.

Deforestation is a major problem in Africa; vast lands have been cleared out for industrial purposes. The problem is you can't really argue with cutting the tree, because we need the wood industries. Thus, we are in a major dilemma, do we cut the trees...or do we leave the trees.

Come on what is the big deal, we can chop some old trees and replant new ones, right !?!?!

Reforestation!!!

That is one way to solve the deforestation problem, we can sow artificial forests all over Africa. This might be an intelligent solution, but, what are the types of trees are we going to plant and why?...Will we plant the trees that we need industrially, or those that we need medicinally or economically or environmentally? On what basis will it be? I have always thought that everything in nature is here for a reason that is why every forest is unique. Every forest contains specific types of trees, herbs, organisms and animals. Thus, reforestation should follow the same pattern or the natural balance will be ruined...or at least that is what I think. Savannahs are here for a reason, Cedar trees are here for another reason and so forth.

So, again I believe nature has its own balance and that we should keep it that way. Reforestation is a good answer; there are a lot of reforestation projects all over Africa to solve the deforestation and the pollution problems. But as I said, natural forests contain a mixture of many tree types that serve many purposes, while the reforested areas usually contains only one or a few tree types planted; a decision that I think should be reconsidered. Or better, don't you think that we should stop cutting down the natural forests and only cut down the "reforested" trees, or at least balance between them, so we can keep the natural trees alive, in order for them to serve us in the best way possible...or what is your solution ???

Image credit by Wing-Chi Poon via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback