Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: February 17, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Africa the continent

Aa Aa Aa

Hi there!!

Did you know that Africa is the second largest continent in size, just after Asia !! Africa is in the center of the world map, in my eyes it looks like a bunch of grapes. It constitutes about 20 % of the land area on our mother earth.

Also, Africa is the second largest continent in population, just after Asia too. So, despite we might have some economic, starvation and learning problems, we don't have any problem having kids..... Nice...Huh!!

Africa contains 52 officially recognized countries (you can add about 5 more unofficial countries and territories..... for now anyways). These countries include (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea,......). All of Africa's countries have their share in the scientific community and of course share in shaping our Unique Africa as well.

The unique position of Africa in the midst of the world, made it a prime target for occupation. Not only the position but also the wealth that Africa owns. Did you know some African countries used to trade gold for silver in the ancient times?? Do you know how many countries have crude materials in its land?

Most -if not all- African countries had fallen under occupation at some point of their history. These occupation histories explain why Africa speaks languages like Arabic, English, French and others that did not originate right here. Some countries in Africa are struggling to maintain their original African languages but still the upper hand in most countries are "the non-African languages" ... I don't know any African language despite being multilingual myself.... I guess that is a great shame.

Africa is the only continent to be crossed by both the prime meridian and the Equator among several latitudes and longitudes. Africa is surrounded by 2 oceans (Atlantic and Indian oceans), 2 seas (Mediterranean and Red seas) and 4 Straits (Gibraltar, Sicily, Tiran and Bab-El-Mandeb).

Africa is the origin of life, no one can argue that !!..... right ?? or do you think otherwise !!

-Cheers
Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback