« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: August 29, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Oh No... Is It Appendicitis !!!

Aa Aa Aa

A woke up on a colicky pain around the center of my abdomen ...and I was going crazy ..."Appendicitis NOW"...I don't have time for this!!!

I don't know if you have than the same feelings towards appendicitis as me, So I decided to give you my prospective.

First, What is the Appendix?

The appendix is said to be a rudimentary remnant not a true organ. In herbivores animals the appendix is much larger and together with the caecum it digests plants. In herbivore, the appendix contains bacteria that secrets cellulase enzyme that breaks down cellulose. However in man this function doesn't exist. A lot of researches were done to try a figure out its function and until now we all are still wondering.

"....It is interesting and humiliating that a small organ which in man performs no useful function can so frequently give rise to problems which, if not treated, may have fatal complications, and of which we still do not fully know the cause...."

That was a statement given by Morson 1972, and I couldn't agree more. Our appendix is really such a small organ yet can be very annoying.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Let me give some examples that show you how "THIS APPENDIX" Ruined great things:

1. Appendicitis delayed the coronation of Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales "King Edward VII" 1901...Imagine what he felt?
  2. Sir Frederick Treves the surgeon, who was knighted after he performed the successful operation on King Edward VII, actually lost his daughter to appendicitis...Imagine his feelings too!!!
  3. The world lost the most famous magicians of all time "Harry Houdini" for Ruptured appendicitis.

Yes, it is really annoying!!!

Currently of course appendicitis is much more safer than before....but TAKE CARE...it can't be ignored!!!

Now back to the function of appendix?

Alfred Romer and Thomas Parsons revealed the utmost importance of the appendix in their book "The Vertebrate Body". Romer and Parsons stated that the appendix is the undying financial support to the surgeons.

Yes Sure !!!

Early in my career I saw appendicitis patients alomost every day...So I guess surgeons must be happy!!!

There was a strong believe before that Africa has a lower incidence of appendicitis than the western world. A lot of researches were done to uncover WHY? However -as a doctor- I can honestly tell you that this info is most probably wrong. In Egypt, all general practitioners are expected to do appendectomy "surgery to remove the appendix" successfully. Actually, I had some friends daring each other to remove it faster each day...so to say that Africa has less prevalence ...I think not !!!

I guess the only function of our appendix is a protective one; the human appendix contains lymphoid tissue that is placed at the beginning of our large intestine to neutralize any remaining bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. However, all the people who had it removed, have had no problem what so ever later...so the degree of protection given by this lymphoid tissue is not that important either.

I think we should not bother ourselves by its function anymore....I just am thankful that I didn't have it. That pain was gone in less an hour ...phew !!!

By the way the symptom of Appendicitis is colicky pain that starts around the umbilicus then it is transfered to the lower right corner of the abdomen. If the initial pain around the umbilicus remained for more than 2 hours, you need to visit your doctor right away or directly go to the emergency room...DON'T IGNORE !!!

I hope you all great health !!!

Image Credit to Pearson Scott Foresman Via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I agree that everything is created for a reason.

However, as far as the appendix.......... may be it is a remnant of the past ?.........or may be we will hear it in the News years later that prof so and so finally found out why we have it.....and trust me it will be "BREAKING NEWS" and "RED HEADLINES"... :)))

Community

I believe that every part in our body & even everything in the universe is there for a reason & to perform a particular function .. sometimes we don't know why or how .. but this doesn't mean that it has no function just because we can't figure it out .. so I can't with Morson "no useful function"

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback