« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: June 3, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Hobbies or Depression…your choice !!!

Aa Aa Aa

It is very impressive how much power does the mind have over the body.

The human psyche is much stronger than his body. How many times have you heard of someone being transferred to the hospital after receiving a bad news or losing something precious. Defining and categorizing things in our life foretells our reaction to losing them. Some people are very passionate about everything and so they enjoy a lot of happiness and warmth while they own it however, they suffer greatly when they lose these things. Others decide that nothing should be precious to them so they will never suffer heartaches but unfortunately they never experience the happiness and warmth the first group have. So, I guess everything has it is cost, there isn't a correct or wrong choice in this. Just do whatever you feel you want to do.

In both cases, there is this depression period, I am pretty sure everyone has experienced depression in their live. Depressed people tend to carry guilt feeling and feel that they don't deserve to be happy...naturally, this is wrong. When you get this feeling run to a hobby and in my opinion make it a new hobby. Learning a new hobby will not only elevate your mood but you will also meet new people with new perspectives in life who- may be- will help you better appreciate your life.

How to choose a hobby is really up to you. You can choose to create something from nothing, travel to a new place, play a new sport, dance,....etc. Take chances with your life, don't calculate each step and every move.

Train your brain....to be different, open, accepting, creative, fast, loving,...etc. So you will be ready for your next heartache, and this next time you will be stronger.

Do whatever will make you happy. You deserve to be happy, believe in yourself and believe that you deserve happiness. You don't need a permission from anyone to do anything and most importantly you shouldn't care what others think of you or of what you are doing. And even if things go south, get a new hobby and move on...

You can attend one of these events to learn more about the power of mind:

World Federation for Mental Health Conference in Cape Town South Africa (http://www.wmhc2011.com/)

Conduct and Counseling: Working Together to Address At-Risk Students online webinar (http://www.innovativeeducators.org/product_p/594.htm)

Image Credit Crystal mind by Nevit Dilmen and Faradarmani by Mohs Rahman via Wikimedia Commons

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Naturally Marwa...if the problem can be solved...you have to try and face it and crack it....however, I am speaking more about those problems that really reach a dead end and you have already worn-out all the possible solutions and nothing is fixing it...or someone literally losing someone precious?

Finally, most definitely DO NOT BE A QUITTER if the problem is otherwise fixable

Community

I like it very much .. Actually one of the documented ways of stress control is the DISTRACTIVE method .. by distracting yourself from what is bothering you & getting busy doing something else & it really works ..

But I think it is more appropriate to use it to deal with the problems which you have no control on ... not as a general rule otherwise we will be passive & just escape into a new activity rather than facing the problem & trying to solve it

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback