« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: October 31, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Forest Trees for The Rescue

Aa Aa Aa

Few days ago, I met a professor who worked in the agriculture sector. We talked about the forests and how the trees live long. Trees could live for hundreds of years; however, it is still healthy. In Africa we have wonderful forests that are filled with even older trees. When I started to discuss this with him, I had ─ of course ─ human health in mind. He then told me that there are many publications that recommend using these trees' extracts in cancer and AIDS treatment.

WOW....Really?

He answered YES. Haven't you wondered how some trees are evergreen and some aren't? or why do some trees live that long?

Sure...then I said to myself, that is a very interesting point, I should read more about this, and now I will share with you some of what I have read.

Definitely, we all have heard of herbal medicine. But for me that was the first time to hear about this remedy for AIDS and cancer. For example, I have read about this tropical evergreen tree "Calophyllum". The resin extracted from this tree inhibits the HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) replication. Also Yew trees' extract "Taxol" is used in cancer treatment; as taxane is an antimitotic agent, in other words; it prevent cellular multiplication.

Nature's wonders never end, I guess !!!

Take a look around and see how the oak trees live so long and we can't. I guess these trees are here for a reason, and that reason is to helps cure some of our ailments, or at least leads us to the cure. There are many wonders around us, and so many lessons to learn from our "Mother Nature"...don't you think !?!

Image Credit: by Denis.prévôt via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

You are right Marwa...it is still under research...and I think when it is completely resaerched I still think it will face strong apposition too...

Community

Interesting .. of course nature wonders never end

But if there is such a cure to HIV & cancer, why are many people still suffering .. May be this is still a subject of research or it is difficult to extract or use globally .. what do you think?

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback