« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: September 15, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Ethical Editing !!!

Aa Aa Aa

In our life we measure everything ─ subconsciously─ on our ethics scale; this is good and this is bad. Since this scale never change; good is clear and bad is also clear. However, when our ethical judgment faces our needs and demands everything changes. At this moment, what was once clear becomes blurry and questionable !!!

Definitely, it is absolutely "Unethical" to generalize this dilemma, nevertheless, I believe that this tendency is more event nowadays. Some people tend to change ─or in their words manipulate ─ the facts to serve the "GREATER GOOD". Some would even justify their actions and explain that these conflicts represent a gray area between good and bad !?!

So it is not even considered wrong by some !!!

Is it ethical to implement policies that is beneficial to you and that you know will harm others ?

Is it ethical to refine your speech after it has been broadcasted to cover up more points or to improve it?

Is it ethical to edit someone else's speech to shape it to your opinion?

Is it ethical to edit a picture or video?

There are many examples to these "Unethical Editing" that we witness every day.

Of course, your answers will be mostly "of course not". However, these unethical editing are done on daily basis all over the world.

However, you can read Africa's information ethics right here !!!

Though what I discussed is my personal opinion; I think you would agree with me that these situations don't represent any gray area at all...right?

Image credit by I & author of Face-smile.svg via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Great categorization Marwa...I hope group 2 and 3 prevail.

People should know that breaking ethics rules will not pass easily. It is like "The curse of the pharaohs" ...always have very bad consequences..:))

Community

I think the less you expect from others, the less you get disappointed .. But there are 3 kinds of people:

1. Those who believe that it's ok to do "anything" as long as you have good goals .. they lie to themselves & to others so much that after a while these start to seem like the truth .. & when they think about the ethics - if they do - they get defensive & try to justify their "innocent" actions

2. Those who never change their principles & respect ethics no matter what .. may be they are decreasing .. some of them are just hiding because they are continuously being criticized or laughed at since they are old fashioned !!! .. or may be they are just there but not as loud as the 1st category ..

3. Good people who make mistakes .. & that is most of us i think .. they respect ethics & regert it very much when they either forced to or unintentionally behave in unethical manner & do their best to correct it

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback