« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: January 23, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Recycling and Your Brain!

Aa Aa Aa

Despite that everyone knows the concept behind recycling and that many governments and organizations are encouraging it, the rate of personal interest in recycling is not as expected. In other words, not so many people actively seek recycled materials and research how to recycle or reuse what they would otherwise discard.

I my opinion, this lack of interest is partially owed to the lack of direct personal gain or loss!

Of course, personal loss has nothing to do with your brain and creativity, but it is rather about losing "money"!

Yes, some governments put deposit money on bottles and you get this deposit back only when you return it. Also, some put a fine when you "personally" don't sort your waste into paper, plastics, organic and glass! And since all these reasons force you to pay extra money, you do it, but not because you care about recycling but rather to save your money.

And now to the bain benefit part "personal gain"!

Do you know that recycling and reusing old things benefits your brain?

Yes!

Despite that the idea MAY seem farfetched yet it's true!

And here I am not talking about refilling a bottle of water with water, but rather, thinking and finding other uses for this bottle. For instance, one of the smartest/craziest reusing ideas for bottles is making a floating island!

Yes, a very smart person succeeded to create his own ECO friendly island that floats over 125,000 used plastic bottles!

Others make chandelier out of toilet paper cardboard, newspaper holder from old bottles, hanging plant pots out of old light bulbs...etc.

Here in Africa, there are a lot of ideas, one of the smartest recycling ideas here in Africa is making shoes from old worn-out tires in Ethiopia. The idea isn't new in Ethiopia, however, this tradition is now getting a lot of heat, because one young Entrepreneur started to use the online selling power to showcase her countries wonderful industry. SoleRebels is not only about recycling of old tires but also about smart marketing and about being ecofriendly!

So, my friends what do you think? You can find many more ideas on the internet and you can come up with your own creative ideas, so go ahead train your brain and boosts your creativity!

Image by Nevit Dilmen via Wikipedia commons.

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback