« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: June 13, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Where is the hottest spot on earth?

Aa Aa Aa

If summer didn't officially start...SO WHY AM I MELTING DOWN !!!

Today's weather is very hot and it is getting even hotter over the next few days...so please forgive me I can't think of anything other than THE WEATHER !!!

Sometimes I get the feeling that the sun is looking down on us and laughing its head off as we melt away ....our sun is very nice!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the summer; it is more active, energetic and you can get a lot done simply because you can't sleep...:))

One can think that the hottest place on earth is around the equator, however, the hottest temperature ever recorded was in "Al-Azizyah" which is a town north west of Libya. On the 13th of September 1922, Al-Azizyah temperature was 57.8 °C (136 °F). Of couse, now everybody knows where Libya is, but for anyone who doesn't know, it is in Africa, north on the Mediterranean sea second country from the east. Despite the very high temperature recorded in Al-Azizyah, it is not considered the hottest place on earth, Dallol in Ethiopia is however the hottest spot on the planet. Again Ethiopia is not on the equator.

Definitely Africa has some of the highest temperatures on earth, but it is not exclusive, the rest of the world has its share. And of course logically the temperatures around the equatorial plane here are high but it usually rains a lot and very heavily and that causes the temperature to break or in other words "cools" the weather down. So the concept that the hottest place on earth is around the equator and the coolest is on the poles is wrong. It is hotter in the desert than around the equator because the weather in the desert is very dry so when the temperature rises and it doesn't rain the temperature will rise even higher ....Did you know that !!!

Image credit by NASA Goddard Laboratory for Atmospheres via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Sorry to hear that Khalil.... just look at the pictures of the African deserts and the ice all around you will just melt ...you know our African sun is young and strong...

I hope the weather down under gets better soon :))

Community

I am freezing down under. At least at night I am.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback