« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: April 22, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

The Cradle of Life

Aa Aa Aa

Today on the Earth day, I couldn't find a more related topic than how can we make life sustainable on Earth and bearable on other planets???

In order to sustain life, you will have to go back to how life began in the first place and how it reached what it is today. Also, you will have to widen your scope to include everything animals, plants, rocks...

Earth science(s) or Geoscience(s) include different scientific studies studying all disciplines related to earth and the way it evolved to be a life bearing place and also how it evolved to the current conditions. Geosciences include the study of rocks and earth's crust (Geology), the study of the earth's shape and characteristics (Geophysics and Geodesy) and also include meteorology, astronomy, oceanology, glaciology...

Why are Geosciences important?

It is very simple, it is because our earth carries the answer to life!!!

Specially Africa!!!

Since Africa is literally the cradle of life, it is where everything started, thus the importance of Geo studies in Africa. Africa is not only the origin of human beings, but also most of the plant and animal species. Here, in Africa scientists found the oldest human remains, oldest plants fossils and also the oldest evidence of dinosaurs. Africa is also the richest continent when it comes to natural minerals ....like GOLD and DIAMONDS.

That is why there is a Council for Geoscience in South Africa (info@geoscience.org.za) also there are scientific journals related to African sciences like Journal of African Earth Sciences in Elsevier ( http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/691/description#description)

So if Africa is the cradle of life...then I guess everybody should listen to what Africa says!!!

If life started here..... then your answer is also right here !!!

Image Credit: Jdodge3 (via wikimedia Commons)

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I do not think you are exagerating...Africa is full of promise....and you are right...we lack the communication and teaming but I guess now that we all agree about that...everyone of us should be teaming up with fellow scientists from other African Couintries and I believe we can make a difference

I do not ever cry over spilt milk...there is no use crying over the past...we are the future scientists...we can do something, and I am very happy that you share this urge with me

Community

i agree with you, why not? the continent of africa, can feed the whole world if i don't exagerate, but its richness is spoiled and not well used, in fact, we need good action of scientists to hear that voice of africa, and to have a heavy word. thanks

Community

Thanks Azza...I wish Earth a very happy Day :)))

Community

nice post doaa

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback