« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: July 28, 2013
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Seesaw or Tug of war!

Aa Aa Aa

I wanted to share with you today, what I have been thinking about over the past few days. May be you can tell me which game is the best to be played by two friends, brothers or teams, because it seems hard somehow to choose the right one!

If you look all around the world, you will find many different children's games. Sometimes these games are particular to some regions, and some games are well known worldwide. Some of these games or playground equipment don't even need so much to build. So, I just want to choose between "Seesaw" and "Tug of War"!

Both of them are simple games, well-known all over the world and they bring so much fun. The basic principle behind both is balance. In Tug of war, every player/team uses their weight and power to keep on their side of the line. However, in the Seesaw version it is a little bit complicated; both players/teams use their weight and brain to overcome the weight of the other player/team.

So when is it more fun?

In Tug of war, it is more fun when one team overpowers the other and brings them by force to their side. During the game, no one will stop pulling although people start falling down or getting hurt from the opponent side or even from the same side, simply because you are helping them in another way, which is fighting for the cause. If you help the other team by any means even by letting go of the robe, this is completely wrong/ crazy and no one will even think of it. In this game only one can win and then he will be the king!

However, in Seesaw, since you can't use power directly, you have to lift your body in the air somehow, or push yourself forward or backwards to strengthen your weight to get the seesaw down. Nevertheless, I don't see most of the fun only at the touchdown moment, because now the other child is flying, and this feeling is also very good. Thus, the player usually let the other player touch down too in order for him to fly. Not only that he let him, but also he can push himself up to get there. Thus, in seesaw, it is not wrong or crazy to help out the other, because there will be also another way of fun in flying.

Differences between both games?

In Tug of war,

(1) It does not need any preparation, you only need the robe.

(2) Some may get hurt!

(3) There is only one winner and other is a loser.

(4) For some moment, there is no action happening and the situation seems as standstill, however, a lot of power and energy are building up underneath.

(5) No one can take a break, or listen to anyone or get distracted from this ONE goal until either they win or ...."lose"!

(6) The robe - which is the basis of the whole game - may get torn apart in the process.

In seesaw,

(1) It needs preparation to build up a strong seesaw using a tree trunk or something else as strong.

(2) No one gets hurt, or if one falls down, the other will fall down too, so it is a reason to keep balance and play along with the other and not against!

(3) Both exchange win and fly situations!

(4) There is no standstill, the seesaw is always working and energy is put to the seesaw to keep moving. Thus, all the energy is well used in their proper moment. So you can touch down and also benefit by flying when the other team touchs down.

(5) You can joke, sing, or do whatever you like while playing; because there is no stress....it is a win/win game!

(6) The seesaw will not break up, if you take time to build a strong basis.

For me, I am more for Seesaw than for Tug of war!

When you look around and search the internet, you will find which game is more preferred in each country /region, for instance, Tug of war seems to be preferentially played in some regions in Egypt!

So, what do you think, which game is better?

Seesaw image by Elf | Talk and Tug of war by Thadius856 (SVG conversion) & Parutakupiu (original image) via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Previous Topic  |  Next Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback