« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: September 20, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

There Is More To Bananas !!!

Aa Aa Aa

In my last post I wanted to enumerate some of the benefits of bananas and I insisted to say "SOME BENEFITS"!!!

All the benefits─ mentioned before ─ was just some of the nutritional value of bananas. However, there are other benefits of bananas that are not only nutritional but also commercial and industrial !!!

I am speaking about the banana flour and chips!!!

Yes, I have mentioned a small clue about it in the last post ...did you notice that !?!

So bananas can help initiate your business career... bananas can be the core of a small industry !!!

By the way, you can learn how to make chips and flour from bananas too !!!

Some African countries have many industries that rely on bananas, these countries consider it as a staple food. First you make the banana flour, and then from this flour you can make pasta or noodles. The interesting thing is that African countries have been using banana flour for so long, however, the rest of the world is still arguing the taste and the benefit behind this type of flour against all the others !!!

In the pasta study; the scientists mentioned that the taste, texture and color of pasta are favorable. So, in my opinion; just imagine adding the many values of bananas that we have discussed before to a spaghetti plate and you will know what I mean.

Pasta and noodles with tryptophan, fibers, antioxidants and minerals!!!

Pasta for diabetic patients !!!

Pasta for over-weight patients !!!

Banana flour is also used to make bread, toast, cupcakes...etc. Therefore, bananas are considered a whole industry, not just a fruit. Unfortunately, almost all the banana industries in Africa are just domestically consumed, since the rest of the world is still "arguing" about its value. But I believe that once the people realize the great difference between consuming "semolina" or ordinary pasta to banana pasta, they will definitely switch to the healthier option...Don't you agree ?

Image Credit to Elembis via Wikimedia Commons

Comments
2  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Plantains are a member of the banana family, Plantains have to be cooked because they lack the sweetness and are more chalky...

you can read this article about "African Food Staples"
http://www.afrol.com/archive/food_staples.htm

Thanks Terri, I am glad that you found the subject interesting, May be you can start a little project, we sure do need some healthy alternative to our foods

Community

Making flour and pasta from bananas sounds like a great idea to me!
I read the instructions on how to make flour from bananas. Is it necessary to use green bananas? Are these green bananas the same as Plantains? Bananas are like any other fruit which consists of many varieties.

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback