« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: May 4, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

A Crazy Idea !!!

Aa Aa Aa

Since I work in research, my brain is now systematized to be solution-oriented. So, when I face a steal wall, I have to look for a door or find some way to create a door to reach my goal. In science, there is no "NO WAY", scientists always find their way around, and that actually works very well every time. That is how scientists found cure to most illness and it is also how they are still searching for better cures. The key is; to think outside the box!!!

So, today I would like to share with you some of my crazy ideas !!!

Just to apply the concept...thinking "outside the box"!?!

However, first, I have to clear something, I respect ethics so much and I believe that life will never be righteous without ethics controlling all our behaviors...But some ideas wouldn't hurt...right!?!

Most of our recent severe problems - other than the financial crisis - are water or air related. So, to be more accurate; we can say our environmental problems with water and pollution need solutions. We suffer from fresh water shortage and unbelievable levels of pollution. So, thinking about our future generations; if we wouldn't find a solution now, they will face life or death situations. And since, we wouldn't want to send them that way; everybody should share with their ideas to save our future aka Mankind!!!

So, now I tell you my crazy idea....here goes...

What if we do not need as much water and oxygen as we normally do!?! Or what if we don't need them at all?

Scientists in genetic engineering are always searching for new genes to manipulate, so here is my proposal; why don't we manipulate the genes responsible for water filtration in the kidneys so we will retain all excess water instead of losing it as waste!?!

So, where would we get these new genes?

Very easy, find the genes responsible for water retention in camels and try to replicate that in other animals, if it works, then we have a chance, if not, no problem.

I can imagine what would be the first reaction to my proposal....."ABOMINATION". The second reaction would be; no human being will accept to move around with a hump!?!

That is actually a little bit problematic, so I guess genetic engineering scientists should find a key to this door before animal trials.

I know it is a crazy idea... but we are totally dependent on water and oxygen. Therefore, we should look for another way around. For the oxygen problem, the same concept applies; we can study the genes that are active during prolonged underwater submersion of amphibian. As during this submersion period they decrease their oxygen consumption to a very low level. Surely scientists have long researched decreasing oxygen demands; though, that only works when the body is put in a state that resembles hibernation. However, amphibians do that without losing or even decreasing their level of consciousness or agility. So I propose we sequence those genes from amphibians too and give it a try, maybe we can live in these high levels of pollution, if we can decrease our oxygen demands.

I am a pro-life person and I would like to see our future generation thinking about much lighter problems rather than life or death problems. That is why I am putting my proposal on the table, and will be looking forward to other ideas too.
At the end, I have to apologize to everybody who sees my ideas as unethical, because eventually every now and then we face such ideas, and the argument will not be in favor of the ethical side; especially when it comes to severe problems like breathing and water intake. I am not saying that I am totally with these ideas, but again a thought wouldn't hurt, would it?

Image credit by Daniduc via Wikimedia Commons.

Comments
4  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

Exactly Mary...that is why I chose the title "Crazy Idea"...because it is :)

ruining our bodies to accomodate our deteriorated environment is out of question...but I said that because the decision makers are not budging...they are following the same path even if we will sink at the end...I am just flagging up the urgent need to re-evaluate and re-think our water crisis and pollution problems

But thank you for your scientific analysis...I appreciate your post so much...thanks again :)

Community

Wouldn't work. Without kidney filtration and homeostatic balance, fluids would build up in the body tissues. The brain has no lymphatic vessels, so it is the most susceptible to increase in body fluids. The brain can swell to a point where functions shut down and you die. If you can think of a way to drain the brain, still won't work. Our cells are machines, they produce waste. The kidneys filter out the waste and the amount of water excreted in the urine is determined by kidney filtration and a hormone, ADH. Together, they control the amount of water in the urine.
We should pay attention to our environmental systems and not our body systems.

Community

Hahaha...It seems that I got your attention Marwa...:D

that is exactly what I meant by this post, I wanted to shock everybody and stimulate them with me and you included to think differently!!

the problem is some of the solutions that were planned years ago, are not fuctioning anymore, however, we still follow the same line of thinking...I wonder how long would it take us to realize that we should think things over?

Community

I totally disagree .. playing with genetics to transform the normal genes to abnormal ones in an attempt to solve the problems that was created by the pollution WE MADE is very risky .. we can never predict what that may lead to .. it can create a catastrophic problem that may disturb the whole body physiology and result in a new mutilated species ..

In my opinion the solution should be focused on the environment & surroundings not on people .. but I agree with the idea that we should start to "think outside the box" and find new solutions by looking at the problem from different perspective .. but of course not by modifying people

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback