« Prev Next »
Science in Africa
Moderated by  Khalil A. Cassimally
Posted on: June 29, 2011
  |  
Posted By: Doaa Tawfik

Files upon a Cloud

Aa Aa Aa

Everyone has one or more favorite devices...I love my computer but hate Mobile phones...I hate that anyone can easily reach me "anytime, anywhere", for me, this is very annoying. BUT, my computer is my access to the whole world. It is my magical playground, I can talk to a friend in USA and at the same second communicate with another one in Mozambique.

Everyday computers give us new facilitations. What was extremely complicated before now is very simple. I still remember the "DOS" language; I have very bad memories with it and with its games. Now and after the invention of "INTERNET", using computers became easier.

Obviously, there is no need to speak about the concept behind the internet, because if you are reading this, then you are well aware what it is. But of course computer geniuses all over the world will not stop thinking about better solutions, and here comes the "Cloud"!?!?!

Cloud computing is a relatively old concept and it is said to take the computer experience to the next level. The concept behind it is very easy "Why buy a cow, if the milk is for free". Why do you need to buy a software, if you can use the application for free? By the way, we all benefit from the cloud every day.

How many Emails have you send today?

How many of you upload their files on an online file sharing or storage or backup or uploading websites?

Have you used the online document creation or network services?

And many other benefits, but I have a question for you; did you install any software to benefit from these services?

No, you didn't...and ...you don't have to.

That is the beauty of the cloud you don't need to install anything, you don't need extra space on your hard drive, you shouldn't freak out if your computer software is down, you don't have to carry your documents or save it on a portable drive or CD to give it to another person to edit it, ...basically because your files is safe and sound on the cloud and anyone "that you allow" will easily reach it instantaneously.

Just like magic!!!

So, simply you put your data on a third-party computer that stores it for you. Thus, metaphorically, you can say that your data is stored in the virtual space or on a "cloud". The concept of the cloud is now applied on document editing, Emails and picture editing software among many others applications. Now you can create a document online and your colleague in another place can access this file and edit it, also you can reach your data from any computer, any where in the world, and so on.

There are many drawbacks in the cloud though; as the safety and hacking issues. When you trust the cloud with your data, you put everything about yourself on a third-party computer then you take the risk of any breach. Of course, many of the cloud providers put a lot of security and protection means... but still...hacking is so much fun...so the risk remains !!!

To know more about cloud computing, take a flight and come to South Africa and meet computer experts in...."Cloud Computing/ Ethical Hacking World Symposium".

The symposium will be held in Johannesburg from18-22 July 2011. You can know about all the future applications that is thought to be using the cloud concept in the next few years. And how your computer- in a couple of years - will be just a door to so many clouds.....and also you need to come to know how computer hacking could be ethical and legal ?????

http://www.amabhubesi.com/index.php/current-events/1st-inaugural-cloud-computing-and-ethical-hacking-world-symposiu/

Image credit by 百楽兎 via Wikimedia Commons....:)))

Comments
0  Comment  | Post a Comment
No comment exists for this Forum Topic
Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback